Simple Pendulum Equations: Period, Length, and Angle as Functions of Time

In summary, the conversation discusses the period of a simple pendulum and how it relates to its length and angle with the vertical. The correct answer for the length of the pendulum is D, 1m, and the correct equation for the angle θ as a function of time t is θ = θmax sin πt. This is found by considering Newton's 2nd law and using the equation θ = θmax sin Wt, where W = sqrt(g/l).
musicfairy
A simple pendulum has a period of 2 s for small amplitude oscillations.

1. The length of the pendulum is most nearly
(A) l/6 m
(B) ¼ m
(C) ½ m
(D) 1 m
(E) 2 m

I used the period of a pendulum equation, did some algebra, and got D as the answer. Is this correct?

2. Which of the following equations could represent the angle θ that the pendulum makes with the vertical as a function of time t?

(A) θ = θmax sin (π/2)t

(B) θ = θmax sin πt

(C) θ = θmax sin 2πt

(D) θ = θmax sin 4πt

(E) θ = θmax sin 8πt

I don't get this one. I'm assuming it's C because 2π = ω in a lot of equations and maybe it's true here too? Can someone please explain this?

Physics news on Phys.org
1. Yes, good.

2. No. One way to think about this is, after one period the argument of the sine should be 2π. And you know what t is after one period.

I redid #2 this way.

T = 2π/ω
Substituted 2s for T and got ω = π

So the answer would be B?

Could someone help me out for #2. I'm not even sure how to approach that part.

bump, please help

An0maly said:
Could someone help me out for #2. I'm not even sure how to approach that part.

They solved it check the previous posts ..

I saw the answer but I didn't understand why they are plugging in T. What exactly is the concept of θ = θmax sin Wt? I've never learned that so I don't know how to manipulate the equation.

An0maly said:
I saw the answer but I didn't understand why they are plugging in T. What exactly is the concept of θ = θmax sin Wt? I've never learned that so I don't know how to manipulate the equation.

you can reach to the equation θ = θmax sin Wt by considering (i.e.) a pendulum of length l and start from Newton`s 2nd law which states that net force = m x`` , with little work you will end up with the solution θ = θmax sin Wt, where W = sqrt(g/l) ..

you can approach the same answer by substituting l = 1m, g=10m/s^2 in W , then you will get W = 3.16 for g = 10m/s^2 (or W=3.13 for g=9.8 m/s^2) which is approximately equal to the answer they reached .. :)

Related to Simple Pendulum Equations: Period, Length, and Angle as Functions of Time

1. What is a simple pendulum?

A simple pendulum is a basic physics system consisting of a mass suspended from a fixed point by a massless string or rod. It is often used to demonstrate the principles of oscillation and can be found in many everyday objects, such as grandfather clocks and playground swings.

2. What are the equations that govern a simple pendulum?

There are two main equations that govern a simple pendulum: the period equation and the amplitude equation. The period equation relates the length of the pendulum to its period, or the time it takes to complete one full swing. The amplitude equation relates the length and angle of the pendulum to the maximum displacement of the mass from its equilibrium position.

3. How do I calculate the period of a simple pendulum?

The period of a simple pendulum can be calculated using the equation T = 2π√(L/g), where T is the period, L is the length of the pendulum, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. This equation assumes small angles of displacement and no air resistance.

4. How does the length of a pendulum affect its period?

The length of a pendulum is directly proportional to its period. This means that as the length of the pendulum increases, the period also increases. This relationship is described by the equation T = 2π√(L/g), where T is the period, L is the length, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

5. Can the simple pendulum equation be used for any type of pendulum?

No, the simple pendulum equation is only valid for a specific type of pendulum with certain assumptions, such as a massless string/rod and small angles of displacement. Other types of pendulums, such as physical pendulums, may have different equations that govern their motion.