Software engineering instead of mechanical engineering

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of getting a job in the aerospace industry as a software engineer, despite not having prior experience in coding. The individual is considering getting a masters in software engineering or computer science and has been looking into tutorials and community college courses to prepare. They also mention being interested in the development of software for aircraft and considering a career in systems engineering. Ultimately, their main goal is to be a part of the team that develops aircraft.
cgoetz86
I have been talking on this forum for a while about going back to school for engineering. I've been considering though getting a masters in software engineering. I am sort of conflicted though. I like computers but my main passion is aircraft. Since aircraft are becoming increasingly reliant on computers iwould it be possible to get a job in the aerospace industry as a software engineer because this is the field I really want to get into? I don't have any prior experience with writing code or anything like that but that doesn't seem to matter to the university I want to attend just got to complete a few pre requisites, but is there anything I can do on my own to prepare such as taking some classes at the community college? Also I am also it seems like software engineers seemed to be viewed as inferior to other engineers. I feel like I would be selling out by choosing the path of software engineer but I feel that my concerns are unwarranted because it seems that software engineers aint doing that bad, and it seems like the field is pretty stable. Bottom line as long as I can combine computers with working with aircraft Id be happy.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm a junior undergrad computer engineer - it depends on what you want to do, I'd guess. Would you rather work on the physical plane itself, or would you rather work on the software that controls it?

I'd first learn some programming; I've heard coursera is pretty good.

Alternatively, you could go look up a few tutorials to do things in a language (python is a pretty easy start) and try to solve some problems (for example, stuff like http://projecteuler.net/). You could also take some community college courses if you'd rather - just try to start learning programming and see if you'd like studying that sort of thing (and doing it every day!).Also, you say you want to get a masters; did you already get a mechanical engineering degree, out of curiosity?

Last edited by a moderator:
cgoetz86 said:
I have been talking on this forum for a while about going back to school for engineering. I've been considering though getting a masters in software engineering. I am sort of conflicted though. I like computers but my main passion is aircraft. Since aircraft are becoming increasingly reliant on computers iwould it be possible to get a job in the aerospace industry as a software engineer because this is the field I really want to get into? I don't have any prior experience with writing code or anything like that but that doesn't seem to matter to the university I want to attend just got to complete a few pre requisites, but is there anything I can do on my own to prepare such as taking some classes at the community college? Also I am also it seems like software engineers seemed to be viewed as inferior to other engineers. I feel like I would be selling out by choosing the path of software engineer but I feel that my concerns are unwarranted because it seems that software engineers aint doing that bad, and it seems like the field is pretty stable. Bottom line as long as I can combine computers with working with aircraft Id be happy.

The answer is simply yes, you can get a job in the aerospace industry.
http://jobs-boeing.com/careers/software-engineering-jobs

Thanks for the feedback. I thought in the beginning I would always like too work on the physical plane, but now I've been looking into other tech fields in which I can still work with aircraft. So I guess what I am trying to say is I am interested in the devolopment of software that control the aircraft and the avionics systems. No I do not have an undergrad in mechanical engineering but I started to get a second degree in it, I decided to restart but now I am wondering if a masters in software engineering or computer science might be a more practical choice. The university in my area said that doesn't matter I would just have to take some prerequisites. I have been looking at tutorials, they are helpful but I feel a traditional class would work better for me. Like I said bottom line as long as I can be part of the team to develop aircraft Id be happy.

Also I've been looking at the field of systems engineering, Can a software engineer enter the field of systems engineering for aircraft?

I just wqnt it known that I am not choosing this because I think its easier path which I am sure it isnt. I am doing it because It just feels right.

Last edited:

I understand your passion for aircraft and the desire to work in the aerospace industry. However, I also believe that the field of software engineering is a valuable and important aspect of modern technology, including in the aerospace industry.

While it may seem like traditional mechanical engineering is the only path to working with aircraft, the truth is that the industry is becoming increasingly reliant on software and computer systems. In fact, many aircraft systems are now controlled and monitored by software, making software engineering a crucial component in the design and operation of modern aircraft.

In terms of job opportunities, the demand for software engineers in the aerospace industry is growing as the industry continues to evolve and adapt to new technologies. Additionally, having a background in both software engineering and aerospace can make you a valuable and versatile candidate in the job market.

If you are concerned about your lack of experience in coding, I would recommend taking some classes at a community college or completing online courses to gain some basic skills and knowledge in software engineering. This will not only help you in your future studies but also give you a better understanding of the field and what it entails.

As for the perception of software engineers being viewed as inferior, I believe this is a misconception. Software engineers play a crucial role in many industries, and their skills and expertise are highly valued. It is important to remember that all types of engineers, whether mechanical, electrical, or software, work together to create and innovate in their respective fields.

In conclusion, choosing to pursue a career in software engineering does not mean you are selling out or compromising your passion for aircraft. In fact, it can open up new and exciting opportunities for you in the aerospace industry. I would encourage you to explore this field and see how you can combine your interests in both computers and aircraft to create a fulfilling career path.

FAQ: Software engineering instead of mechanical engineering

1. What is software engineering?

Software engineering is the application of engineering principles to the design, development, and maintenance of software systems. It involves using various tools, techniques, and methodologies to create efficient and reliable software products.

2. How is software engineering different from mechanical engineering?

Software engineering focuses on the development of software systems, while mechanical engineering deals with the design and construction of physical systems. They use different tools, processes, and principles, but both fields require problem-solving and critical thinking skills.

3. What skills are needed for a career in software engineering?

Some essential skills for a career in software engineering include programming languages, problem-solving, communication, teamwork, and adaptability. Additionally, knowledge of software development processes, data structures, and algorithms is also important.

4. Is software engineering a good career choice?

Yes, software engineering is a rapidly growing field with high demand for skilled professionals. It offers competitive salaries, career advancement opportunities, and the chance to work on cutting-edge technology. However, it requires continuous learning and staying updated with the latest trends and technologies.

5. Can someone with a mechanical engineering background become a software engineer?

Yes, it is possible for someone with a mechanical engineering background to transition into software engineering. While they may need to learn new skills and processes, their problem-solving and analytical abilities can be beneficial in this field. Many employers also value diverse backgrounds and encourage individuals to pursue career changes.