Solve Electromagnetic Field Acting on Charged Particle

And if you choose to approximate with the old and new values, you should use the derivative to do so. In any case you need to work out the derivative of ##\gamma## correctly before you can make any progress.
Mihai_B
Can anyone help me find any mistake in this expansion ? (I've asked it also in other places but I got no answer))

Pα= e Fαβ Uβ

c = speed of light
m = "rest" mass
e = charge
a = sqr(1 - v2/c2)
v2 = vx2 + vy2 + vz2
dτ = dt a (proper time)
momentum 4 vector : Pα = [mc/a , mvx/a , mvy/a , mvz/a ]

velocity 4 vector : Uβ = [c/a , vx/a , vy/a , vx/a ]

electromagnetic tensor matrix Fαβ =
| 0 -Ex/c -Ey/c -Ez/c |
| Ex/c 0 -Bz By |
| Ey/c Bz 0 -Bx |
| Ez/c -By Bx 0 |

Expending Pα= e Fαβ Uβ we get

- for P0 :
d (m c/a) / dt = - e/(c a) (Ex vx+ Ey vy + Ez vz)
m c / a' = - e/(c a) (Ex vx+ Ey vy + Ez vz) + m c / a

- for P1 :
d (m vx)/(a dt) = e/a (Ex- Bz vy + By vz)
m v'x/a' = (e/a) (Ex- Bz vy + By vz) dt + m vx/a

- for P2 :
d (m vy)/(a dt) = (e/a) (Ey+ Bz vx - Bx vz)
m v'y/a' = (e/a) (Ey + Bz vx - Bx vz) dt + m vy/a

- for P3 :
d (m vz)/(a dt) = (e/a) (Ez- By vx + Bx vy)
m v'z/a' = (e/a) (Ez - By vx + Bx vy) dt + m vz/aAll up:
(0) m c/a' = - e/(c a) (Ex vx+ Ey vy + Ez vz) + m c / a = D
(1) m v'x/a' = (e/a) (Ex- Bz vy + By vz) dt + m vx/a = A
(2) m v'y/a' = (e/a) (Ey + Bz vx - Bx vz) dt + m vy/a = B
(3) m v'z/a' = (e/a) (Ez - By vx + Bx vy) dt + m vz/a = C

So:
A/v'x = B/v'y = C/v'z = D/c = m/a'

Are there any mistakes here ?
v'x = A c / D
v'y = B c / D
v'z = C c / D
a' = m c / D

where the new U'β = [c/a' , v'x/a' , v'y/a' , v'z/a'] and a' = sqr(1 - v'2/c2)

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Mihai_B said:
Can anyone help me find any mistake in this expansion ?

The formula you are starting with is not correct as you write it there (although you appear to be including a derivative on the LHS later in your post--but that's also not quite right as you do it, see below). The correct formula is

$$
\frac{dP_{\alpha}}{d\tau} = e F_{\alpha \beta} U^{\beta}
$$

where ##\tau## is the particle's proper time. Note that ##\tau## is not the same as ##t##, the coordinate time. See below.

Mihai_B said:
momentum 4 vector : Pα = [mc/a , mvx/a , mvy/a , mvz/a ]

velocity 4 vector : Uβ = [c/a , vx/a , vy/a , vx/a ]

This isn't quite right because you have written ##P_\alpha## with a lower index and ##U^\beta## with an upper index, and that makes a difference. The components you give for ##U^\beta## are correct; but the "0" or "t" component of ##P_\alpha## should have a minus sign because of the lower index. (This is assuming we are using the ##-+++## sign convention for the metric signature.)

Mihai_B said:
Expending Pα= e Fαβ Uβ we get

- for P0 :
d (m c/a) / dt = - e/(c a) (Ex vx+ Ey vy + Ez vz)
m c / a' = - e/(c a) (Ex vx+ Ey vy + Ez vz) + m c / a

I see three issues here. First, you should be evaluating ##d(mc/a) / d\tau##, not ##d(mc/a) / dt##. Second, you don't appear to be taking the derivative on the LHS correctly: ##d(1/a) / d\tau## should evaluate to ##-1/a^2 \left( da / d\tau \right)## (and even then you probably want to use the chain rule treating ##a## as a function of ##v## in order to get an expression in terms of ##dv / d\tau##). Third, I don't understand where the ##mc/a## term on the RHS in the second line comes from.

I haven't looked at the rest of your derivation because it looks to me like you need to start again from scratch in the light of the issues above.

One other suggestion: use standard notation. What you are calling ##1/a## is usually called ##\gamma##. It is also easier to use units where ##c = 1##.

Hi and thanks for the reply!

- I wrote Pα but i really actually used Pα = " Pα/dτ " . Sorry.

- You are correct - I got the sign wrong for P0. It's -mc/a

- d(mc/a)/dτ, d(mvx/a)/dτ, etc, which is what I ment to write (my original notes are correct), sorry my transcription got a little wrong.

- regarding differentials :
d(mc/a) = mc/a' - mc/a = new - old

So
(new - old)/dτ = - e/(c a) (Ex vx+ Ey vy + Ez vz)

new - old = - e/(c a) (Ex vx+ Ey vy + Ez vz) dτ

new = - e/(c a) (Ex vx+ Ey vy + Ez vz) dτ + old

(-mc/a') = - e/(c a) (Ex vx+ Ey vy + Ez vz) dτ + (-mc/a)

-mc γ' = - (e/c) γ (Ex vx+ Ey vy + Ez vz) dτ - mcγ

mc γ' = (e/c) γ (Ex vx+ Ey vy + Ez vz) dτ + mcγ

Correct ?
So i don't need to use derivative since I'm dismanteling the differential and putting in RHS what is related to old and on LHS what is related to new. Right ?

Thanks anyway !

Mihai_B said:
I wrote Pα but i really actually used Pα = " Pα/dτ " .

I assume you mean ##dP_\alpha / d\tau##.

Mihai_B said:
regarding differentials :
d(mc/a) = mc/a' - mc/a = new - old

They aren't differentials, they're derivatives.

Mihai_B said:
i don't need to use derivative since I'm dismanteling the differential

I don't see the point of approximating this way since you can easily evaluate the derivative of ##mc / a## (or ##m \gamma## if you use my suggested notation and units) with respect to ##\tau## exactly, without having to approximate.

Likes Mihai_B

Related to Solve Electromagnetic Field Acting on Charged Particle

1. What is an electromagnetic field?

An electromagnetic field is a physical field that is created by electrically charged particles and can exert a force on other charged particles within its influence. It consists of both electric and magnetic components and is responsible for many natural phenomena, such as light and radio waves.

2. How does an electromagnetic field act on a charged particle?

When a charged particle enters an electromagnetic field, it will experience a force due to the electric and magnetic components of the field. This force is described by the Lorentz force law and is dependent on the particle's charge, velocity, and the strength and direction of the field.

3. What factors affect the strength of the electromagnetic field acting on a charged particle?

The strength of the electromagnetic field acting on a charged particle is influenced by several factors, including the charge and velocity of the particle, the magnitude and direction of the electric and magnetic fields, and the distance between the particle and the source of the field.

4. How can we solve for the motion of a charged particle in an electromagnetic field?

To solve for the motion of a charged particle in an electromagnetic field, we can use the Lorentz force law, which describes the force acting on the particle. This equation can be integrated to determine the particle's position and velocity at any given time. Additionally, numerical methods or computer simulations may be used to solve for more complex scenarios.

5. What are some real-world applications of understanding electromagnetic fields acting on charged particles?

Understanding how electromagnetic fields act on charged particles is essential in many fields, including physics, electrical engineering, and telecommunications. It is also crucial in understanding natural phenomena, such as the behavior of charged particles in Earth's magnetic field and the interaction of cosmic rays with the Earth's atmosphere.