Solving a first order differential equation (calculus 1)

In summary, the conversation discusses the solution to the equation dy/dx=y-e-x and the attempts made by the speaker to find the answer. They mention trying to factor out e-x and y, but ultimately solving the equation by rearranging it and finding an integrating factor. They also express gratitude for the response and mention solving the equation.
myeviltacos

Homework Statement

dy/dx=y-e-x

Homework Equations

none

The Attempt at a Solution

According to Wolfram Alpha the solution is y = cex+.5e-x . I tried multiple approaches, but I cannot obtain this answer. I can't figure out what step 1 is.

I tried factoring out e-x from the right side of the equation, but I couldn't go anywhere from there, and factoring out y did not work either.

Physics news on Phys.org
First rearrange it to dy/dx + p(x) y = q(x), where p(x) and q(x) are arbitrary functions. Then find an integrating factor.

Char. Limit said:
First rearrange it to dy/dx + p(x) y = q(x), where p(x) and q(x) are arbitrary functions. Then find an integrating factor.

Oh wow, thanks for your response. I solved it. :)

FAQ: Solving a first order differential equation (calculus 1)

1. What is a first order differential equation?

A first order differential equation is an equation that involves a function and its derivative. It is called first order because it only involves the first derivative of the function.

2. How do you solve a first order differential equation?

The most common method for solving a first order differential equation is by using separation of variables. This involves isolating the dependent variable and its derivative on opposite sides of the equation, and then integrating both sides.

3. What is the importance of solving first order differential equations?

First order differential equations are used to model a variety of real-world problems in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. Solving these equations allows us to predict and understand the behavior of systems over time.

4. Can all first order differential equations be solved analytically?

No, not all first order differential equations can be solved analytically. Some equations may require numerical methods or approximations to find a solution.

5. What are some common applications of first order differential equations?

First order differential equations are commonly used in physics to model motion and in engineering to analyze circuits. They are also used in biology to describe population growth and in economics to model supply and demand.

Back