Solving A System Of Linear Equations

In summary, the problem is to find the values of x and y that solve a system of linear equations, while also finding a way to solve it mentally. After some initial observations, it is noticed that the coefficients of the different variables in different equations have the same value, leading to the conclusion that the solutions for x and y must be different. By adding the two equations and making some substitutions, it is determined that x + y = 5, which can help find the values for x and y.
Bashyboy

Homework Statement

The problem is to find the values of x and y that solve the following system of linear equations:

6751x + 3249y = 26751

3249x + 6751y = 23249

However, the caveat is that I must contrive a mental process of solving them--I must find x and y in my head.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Rather than waste time, I figured I would analytically solve for x and y, to see if the solved values elucidated some pattern; and then I would contrive a way to solve this problem mentally. I found that x = 3 and y = 2. This didn't seem to be of much advantage.

Before I did this, however, I jotted down a few initial observations:

(1) Notice, the coefficients of the different variables in different equations have the same
value--6751x from the first equation and 6751y from the second equation. So, whatever value is chosen for x must different for y (I am not certain of my reasons of this observation. So, if someone could help me work through this observation, I would appreciate it.).

(2) I also noticed that the RHS of equation 1 is 20000 plus the coefficient of x. A Similar observation can be acquired by looking at equation 2.

I would appreciate someone who could stimulate my thoughts, but please don't just give me the solution. I want to be able to solve this problem on my own, to some degree, of course.

Physics news on Phys.org
Bashyboy said:

Homework Statement

The problem is to find the values of x and y that solve the following system of linear equations:

6751x + 3249y = 26751

3249x + 6751y = 23249

However, the caveat is that I must contrive a mental process of solving them--I must find x and y in my head.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Rather than waste time, I figured I would analytically solve for x and y, to see if the solved values elucidated some pattern; and then I would contrive a way to solve this problem mentally. I found that x = 3 and y = 2. This didn't seem to be of much advantage.

Before I did this, however, I jotted down a few initial observations:

(1) Notice, the coefficients of the different variables in different equations have the same
value--6751x from the first equation and 6751y from the second equation. So, whatever value is chosen for x must different for y (I am not certain of my reasons of this observation. So, if someone could help me work through this observation, I would appreciate it.).

(2) I also noticed that the RHS of equation 1 is 20000 plus the coefficient of x. A Similar observation can be acquired by looking at equation 2.

I would appreciate someone who could stimulate my thoughts, but please don't just give me the solution. I want to be able to solve this problem on my own, to some degree, of course.

Well, 6 + 3 = 7 + 2 = 5 + 4 = 9 and 1 + 9 = 10, so 6751 + 3249 = 10000. Thus adding the equations gives 10000(x + y) = 50000 so x + y = 5.

You can subtract the second equation from the first to find x - y without having to calculate 6751-3249.

If we let

[tex]a=6,751[/tex][tex]b=3,249[/tex][tex]c=20,000[/tex]

Then the equations can be expressed as

[tex]ax+by=c+a[/tex]
[tex]bx+ay=c+b[/tex]

And if you subtract the second equation from the first, you'll get a nice simplification.

Bashyboy said:

That criteria alone isn't sufficient enough to conclude that x and y must be different. For example,

[tex]2x+3y=5[/tex]
[tex]7x+2y=9[/tex]

The coefficient of x in the first equation is equal to the coefficient of y in the second, but the solution to this system is (1,1).

However, if we add the restriction that the coefficient of y in the first is also equal to the coefficient of x in the second as we have in your question, then yes, the solutions to x and y must be different - assuming of course that both equations aren't equivalent.

A little more prodding towards the solution than I wanted (perhaps you folks should have began with the simple question of what would happen if you added the two equations), but I was able to solve it. Thanks, ya'll.

Related to Solving A System Of Linear Equations

What is a system of linear equations?

A system of linear equations is a set of two or more equations that contain two or more variables. The goal is to find the values of the variables that make all the equations true simultaneously.

What is the process for solving a system of linear equations?

The most common way to solve a system of linear equations is by using the elimination method. This involves manipulating the equations to eliminate one of the variables, then using substitution to find the value of the remaining variable. Another method is substitution, where one equation is solved for one variable and then that value is substituted into the other equations.

What are some real-world applications of solving a system of linear equations?

Solving a system of linear equations is used in many fields, including engineering, economics, and physics. It can be used to model and solve problems involving multiple variables, such as finding the optimal solution for a manufacturing process or determining the break-even point for a business.

What are the possible outcomes when solving a system of linear equations?

There are three possible outcomes when solving a system of linear equations: one unique solution, infinite solutions, or no solution. A unique solution means that there is only one set of values that satisfy all the equations. Infinite solutions occur when the equations are equivalent and there are an infinite number of solutions. No solution means that the equations are contradictory and cannot be solved simultaneously.

What is the difference between a linear and a non-linear system of equations?

A linear system of equations has equations that are all linear, meaning they can be written in the form y = mx + b. In contrast, a non-linear system of equations has at least one equation that is not linear, making it more complex to solve. Non-linear systems can have multiple solutions or no solution at all.

Back