Solving a Wheatstone Bridge with 5 Resistors

In summary, the conversation is about solving a Wheatstone Bridge problem with 5 resistors using Kirchoff's Law. The main point is to choose directions for the loop currents and include the resistor in the middle in the loop equations. This will allow for solving for the bottom current, which can then be used to find the power using P = I2R.
katrascythe

Homework Statement

A Wheatstone Bridge with 5 resistors

http://img529.imageshack.us/my.php?image=physicsproblemmo7.png

Homework Equations

Use Kirchoff's Law

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that I have to use Kirchoff's laws to find the current at each junction and then at the loops. The only deal is that I'm not sure how to handle the resistor in the middle.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi katrascythe! :smile:

Your link isn't working. :cry:

katrascythe said:

Homework Statement

A Wheatstone Bridge with 5 resistors

http://img529.imageshack.us/my.php?image=physicsproblemmo7.png

Homework Equations

Use Kirchoff's Law

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that I have to use Kirchoff's laws to find the current at each junction and then at the loops. The only deal is that I'm not sure how to handle the resistor in the middle.

Choose directions for your loop currents in each of the 2 loops. (I would choose clockwise for the top and counterclockwise for the bottom.) The voltage then of the resister in the middle represents the current of the sum of the 2 currents, top and bottom current, and becomes a term in each of your loop equations.

You have 2 equations, 2 unknowns, solve to the bottom current and that current2 times R is your power by P = I2R.

Related to Solving a Wheatstone Bridge with 5 Resistors

1. How many resistors are needed for a Wheatstone Bridge?

The Wheatstone Bridge requires 5 resistors in total - two on one side, two on the other side, and one in the middle.

2. How do you calculate the value of the unknown resistor in a Wheatstone Bridge?

The value of the unknown resistor can be calculated using the formula Rx = (R1/R2) * (R3/R4), where R1 and R2 are the resistors on one side of the bridge, and R3 and R4 are the resistors on the other side.

3. What is the purpose of using a Wheatstone Bridge?

A Wheatstone Bridge is used to measure the value of an unknown resistor by comparing it to known resistors in a balanced circuit. This is useful in precision measurement and control applications.

4. How do you know if a Wheatstone Bridge is balanced?

A Wheatstone Bridge is balanced when there is no current flowing through the middle resistor. This can be determined by using a voltmeter to check for zero voltage across the middle resistor.

5. Can a Wheatstone Bridge be used with different types of resistors?

Yes, a Wheatstone Bridge can be used with any type of resistors as long as they are within the same range of values and have the same precision. However, using resistors with different temperature coefficients may affect the accuracy of the measurement.