Solving Air Resistance in Projectile Motion

In summary, the projectile's landing point is 80.9 m from its starting point, assuming a flat terrain. The equation for x(t) is ax and the equation for y(t) is ay, and the quadratic formula is required to solve for t.
uchicago2012

Homework Statement

Suppose we attempt to account for air resistance in our projectile motion in the following (incorrect) way: we alter g so that the acceleration in the y direction is -8 m/s2, and introduce a horizontal acceleration of -3 m/s2. With these changes, find the landing point of a projectile fired with initial speed 32 m/s at an angle of 25°.

Homework Equations

x - x0 = (v0 cos theta0)t + 1/2 at2 (note this is changed from the textbook definition- by the addition of the term (+ 1/2 at2)- bc of the introduction of horizontal acceleration)
y - y0 = (v0 sin theta0)t + 1/2 at2
vy = v0 sin theta0 + at
vy2 = (v0 sin theta0)2 + 2a(y - y0)
and other constant acceleration equations altered for the purposes of projectile motion
for constant acceleration:
R = (2v02/g) (sin 2theta0)
where R = the horizontal range of the projectile

The Attempt at a Solution

I was wondering if there was a way to solve this without assuming the landing point is the same as the launch point (constant elevation.) I solved it assuming constant elevation, but as it doesn't say that, I don't know if that was perhaps a bad assumption.

With my assumption, I found that the projectile's landing point was 80.9 m from its starting point.

Physics news on Phys.org
uchicago2012 said:

Homework Equations

x - x0 = (v0 cos theta0)t + 1/2 at2 (note this is changed from the textbook definition- by the addition of the term (+ 1/2 at2)- bc of the introduction of horizontal acceleration)
y - y0 = (v0 sin theta0)t + 1/2 at2
vy = v0 sin theta0 + at
vy2 = (v0 sin theta0)2 + 2a(y - y0)

These equations are good, but here's a minor nitpick: you should probably explicitly indicate that the acceleration in the equation for x(t) is ax and the acceleration in the equation for y(t) is ay. Using the same symbol implies that they are the same quantity.

uchicago2012 said:

The Attempt at a Solution

I was wondering if there was a way to solve this without assuming the landing point is the same as the launch point (constant elevation.) I solved it assuming constant elevation, but as it doesn't say that, I don't know if that was perhaps a bad assumption.
One way you could do it, in the general case, is if you were given the profile of the land. So instead of y0 being a constant, it is function of x and this function defines the elevation profile. You would also have the function y(x) which tells you the trajectory of the object (you can solve for y(x) by eliminating t from the equations for x(t) and y(t)). The landing point would then be intersection of of y(x) and y0(x). In this case, since you aren't given any information about the elevation profile, it seems sensible to assume the terrain is flat.

I thought I'd try it out of interest. This is probably a foolish question:

Is there a way to solve x-x0 = (v0 cos theta0)t + 1/2 axt2 for t? I can't seem to make the algebra work. I let x0 = 0, but with the remaining x term, I can't get the equation simplified.

uchicago2012 said:
I thought I'd try it out of interest. This is probably a foolish question:

Is there a way to solve x-x0 = (v0 cos theta0)t + 1/2 axt2 for t? I can't seem to make the algebra work. I let x0 = 0, but with the remaining x term, I can't get the equation simplified.

The expression is a quadratic in t, therefore you would have to use the quadratic formula in order to solve it.

So I arrived at

3/2 m/s2 +/- [ (-3/2 m/s2 + (116 m/s)x)/(58 m/s)]1/2 = 3.375 seconds, which makes since, because the left side of the equation is the t term and thus the right side should be in seconds. However, from this point, the equation becomes tedious and confusing. It doesn't make sense to subtract 3/2 m/s2 from 3.375 seconds and ignoring it and hoping for an opportunity to simplify later didn't pan out as I had to square the quantity to continue simplification.

Once you've solved for t, if every term on the right hand side doesn't have units of time, then you have done something wrong. My advice would be not to substitute in numbers and units until the end. That just clutters things up (it also makes it hard for me to check your work). Start again with the equation:

[tex] \frac{1}{2}a_x t^2 + (v_0 \cos \theta) t - \Delta x = 0 [/tex]​

This equation is of the form:

[tex] A t^2 + B t + C = 0 [/tex]​

Therefore, the quadratic formula says:

[tex] t = \frac{-B \pm \sqrt{B^2 - 4AC}}{2A} [/tex]​

Now you have to express A, B, and C in terms of the original quantities and simplify. The algebra is tedious, to be sure.

I reworked it but still ran into the same problem:

x = [(2 (v0 cos theta) [ (-v0 sin theta)/(1/2 ay) + 1/2 ax ]2 - 1/2 ax ] / [ 4(v0 cos theta)]

The problem arises when I add the squared term, [ (-v0 sin theta)/(1/2 ay) + 1/2 ax ]2. (m/s) / (m/s2) = seconds, then it's seconds plus m/s2

Related to Solving Air Resistance in Projectile Motion

1. How does air resistance affect projectile motion?

Air resistance, also known as drag, is a force that opposes the motion of an object through the air. This force increases as an object's speed increases and can significantly impact the trajectory and distance of a projectile.

2. How can air resistance be calculated and incorporated into projectile motion equations?

Air resistance can be calculated using the drag equation, which takes into account the object's velocity, cross-sectional area, and air resistance coefficient. This value can then be incorporated into the equations of motion, such as the projectile motion equation, to accurately predict the path of the projectile.

3. Can air resistance be ignored in projectile motion calculations?

In most cases, air resistance cannot be ignored in projectile motion calculations. It becomes more significant as an object's velocity increases, and can greatly affect the accuracy of the calculations if not taken into account.

4. How does the shape of an object affect air resistance in projectile motion?

The shape of an object can greatly impact the amount of air resistance it experiences during projectile motion. Objects with a more streamlined shape, such as a bullet, will experience less drag compared to objects with a larger surface area, like a flat sheet of paper.

5. What are some methods for reducing the impact of air resistance in projectile motion?

Some methods for reducing the impact of air resistance in projectile motion include using objects with a more streamlined shape, increasing the velocity of the object to reduce the time it is affected by air resistance, and using materials such as feathers or parachutes to increase air resistance and slow the object's descent.

Back