Solving Exact Gravitational Plane Wave Confusion

In summary, the conversation discusses the search for a simple exact solution to the gravitational plane wave using Brinkmann coordinates. The metric, Einstein tensor, and Riemann are analyzed, and confusion arises when trying to find an orthonormal space-time basis. The notes provided in the conversation are also mentioned as a useful resource. It is suggested to consider geodesics and solving the geodesic equations to understand the physical implications of the space-time. The possibility of incomplete geodesics is also discussed.
pervect
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Insights Author
I've been looking for a simple exact, gravitational plane wave solution. Working from Wiki's short article on Brinkmann coordinates, I have what appears to be a simple exact solution - but it's significance and interpretation is confusing me a bit.

Let's start with the metric:

$$g = (y^2 - x^2) \, h(u) \, du \otimes du + du \otimes dv + dv \otimes du + dx \otimes dx + dy \otimes dy $$

The Einstein tensor is zero.
The Riemann is non-zero:

$$R = \frac{\partial}{\partial v} \, h(u) \,(dx \, du\, dx - dx \,dx\, du - dy\, du \,dy + dy \,dy \,du ) + \frac{\partial}{\partial x} \, h(u) \,(-du \, du \,dx - du \,dx \,du) + \frac {\partial}{\partial y} \, h(u) \,(du \,du \,dy - du \,dy \,du)$$

The confusion arises when we try to find an orthonormal space-time basis.

For instance, if we take
$$e_i = \left[ \frac {\frac{\partial}{\partial v} - \frac{\partial}{\partial u} } {\sqrt{2+h(u)(x^2-y^2)}} , \quad
\frac{\partial}{\partial x}, \quad
\frac{\partial}{\partial y}, \quad
\frac {\frac{\partial}{\partial u} + \left( 1 + h(u)(x^2 - y^2 )\right) \frac{\partial}{\partial v} } {\sqrt{2+h(u) (x^2-y^2) }}
\right] $$

we find that ##e_i \cdot e_j = \delta^i{}_j##, but our basis fails to make sense when ##2+h(u) (x^2-y^2) = 0##

I'm basically not sure what to make of this physically. Can we say the metric is non-singular, and that it's just impossible to have a global orthonormal space-time split? Or are there some singularity issues with the metric (but the components of the Riemann look fine before we tried to find an orthnormal basis).

I suppose the other question I should ask is if this really is a gravitational plane wave solution. I'm pretty sure it's exact, unless there's an error in calculationg the Einstein tensor as zero.

Physics news on Phys.org
Equations (2.66) and (2.67) in the notes.

Thank you both! There's a lot to absorb, but (2.66) is basically the same line element I was looking at, except for minor formatting differences (writhing 2 du dv as du dv + dv du and introducing h(u)).

pervect said:
I'm basically not sure what to make of this physically. Can we say the metric is non-singular, and that it's just impossible to have a global orthonormal space-time split? Or are there some singularity issues with the metric (but the components of the Riemann look fine before we tried to find an orthnormal basis).

In section 2.6, there is a neat proof that all curvature invariants are zero. In section 2.7, he shows that there can be singularities but only at points where the metric components are singular (as functions). So, my guess is that your space-time is non-singular and you only have coordinate problems. It is not clear to me whether there can be or not a global orthonormal basis.

I suppose one productive step would be to think about the geodesics in this space-time. Which entails solving the geodesic equations - well, perhaps there is some other approach, but it's the one that comes to mind.

If we set h(u) equals one, the computer algebra spits out a fair number of Killing vectors, but it doesn't look good for ##\partial / \partial x## and ##\partial / \partial y## remaining finite :(. Which looks bad for geodesic completeness.

Without setting h(u) to one, finding the Killing vectors seems to be difficult.

The geodesics are considered in section 2.3. If the function ##h(u)## is defined and regular for all ##u##, then there are no incomplete geodesics.

Related to Solving Exact Gravitational Plane Wave Confusion

1. What is the concept of "exact gravitational plane wave confusion"?

"Exact gravitational plane wave confusion" refers to the phenomenon in which two or more gravitational waves with similar frequencies and amplitudes are detected by a gravitational wave detector, making it difficult to accurately distinguish between them.

2. What causes "exact gravitational plane wave confusion"?

"Exact gravitational plane wave confusion" is caused by the overlapping of multiple gravitational waves in a detector's data, making it challenging to isolate and analyze individual waves.

3. How can "exact gravitational plane wave confusion" be solved?

Solving "exact gravitational plane wave confusion" requires advanced data analysis techniques, such as signal processing algorithms and machine learning, to accurately separate and identify individual gravitational waves from a detector's data.

4. What are the implications of "exact gravitational plane wave confusion" on gravitational wave research?

"Exact gravitational plane wave confusion" can significantly impact the accuracy and precision of gravitational wave measurements, potentially leading to misinterpretations of data and incorrect conclusions about the properties of gravitational waves and their sources.

5. How are scientists working to address "exact gravitational plane wave confusion"?

Scientists are continuously developing and refining data analysis methods to better isolate and identify individual gravitational waves from a detector's data, as well as improving the sensitivity and capabilities of gravitational wave detectors to reduce confusion and improve accuracy.