Solving TI-89 Derivatives Problem: Setting X to a Constant

• Calculators
  • Thread starter milosport
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ti-89
In summary, the speaker had a problem with derivatives on their TI-89 calculator and found the solution on a forum. They realized that the issue was caused by setting x to a constant instead of a variable. They were curious about how this could happen and what operations on the calculator would require x to be set to a constant. The expert suggested using the STO button to store values into variables and using the | symbol to temporarily substitute values for variables. The speaker expressed their appreciation for the help and mentioned being a pilot.
milosport
I had a problem doing derivatives on my TI-89 and found the solution to my problem on this forum. I had x set to a constant instead of a variable. I'm just curious how x was set to this constant in the first place. I've never (that I know of) set it to anything. Just out of curiosity, what operations on the calculator would you want x to equal a constant and how is it done?

(edit: how is x set to a constant not how to do an operation with it)

Thanks,
Milo

Computer science news on Phys.org
Using the STO (store) button at the bottom left, the syntax is "constant STO variable." This assigns a value to any variable you choose. That would explain how your derivative of x was zero. Check all your variables by selecting VAR-LINK (2nd + minus sign). Under the MAIN directory, you will see x is stored. Highlight this and remove it by pressing the left arrow (backspace) button and choose "yes."

I never store values into variables for this very reason. When I need to substitute a value for a variable in a complex expression, I use the | symbol to temporarily use a value for a certain variable. For example: 6x^2+7x+3|x=2 would return this expression as if x were '2.'

Ah, great! I've never taken the time to really go over everything this calculator can do. I just figure things out as I need them. I wish I would have known about the "as if" thing a long time ago, could save some time. Although now that I think of it, using Y= and looking at the table seems easier. I love this calculator! Thanks for the help!

BTW, I'm a pilot too. Single engine land! Thanks again

Last edited:

FAQ: Solving TI-89 Derivatives Problem: Setting X to a Constant

What is a TI-89 derivative problem?

A TI-89 derivative problem is a mathematical problem that involves finding the derivative of a function using a TI-89 calculator. The TI-89 is a graphing calculator commonly used by students and professionals in the fields of mathematics, science, and engineering.

How do I set X to a constant in a TI-89 derivative problem?

To set X to a constant in a TI-89 derivative problem, you can use the "x->" command. This command allows you to specify a value for X that will be treated as a constant in the derivative calculation. For example, if you want to find the derivative of the function f(x)=x^2 at x=3, you would enter "x->3" before taking the derivative.

What is the purpose of setting X to a constant in a TI-89 derivative problem?

Setting X to a constant in a TI-89 derivative problem allows you to find the derivative of a function at a specific point. This is useful for finding the slope of a tangent line, the instantaneous rate of change, or the average rate of change at a particular point on a graph.

Can I solve TI-89 derivative problems without setting X to a constant?

Yes, you can solve TI-89 derivative problems without setting X to a constant. However, setting X to a constant can make the calculation more efficient and accurate, especially for more complex functions. It is also necessary when finding the derivative at a specific point on the graph.

Are there any other ways to set X to a constant in a TI-89 derivative problem?

Yes, besides using the "x->" command, you can also use the "var=" command. This allows you to assign a value to a variable, such as X, before taking the derivative. Both methods achieve the same result of setting X to a constant for the derivative calculation.