String with mass pulling block up frictionless ramp

In summary, the problem involves a block with mass M attached to a string with mass m, and a force F is applied to the string. The block is pulled up a frictionless inclined plane at an angle theta. The net-force equations for the block and the string are used to find the acceleration of the system. However, there is an error in the final equation obtained, which is not dimensionally consistent.
PsychonautQQ

Homework Statement

A block of mass M has a string of mass m attached to it. A force F is applied to the string and it pulls the block up a frictionless plane that is inclined at an angle theta. Find the force that the string exerts on the block

Homework Equations

F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

Force of the string on the block = Force of the block on the string = N
Force applied to string = F
acceleration of block = acceleration of string = a[/B]

My first equation was the net-force equation for the string:
ma = -mg*sin(theta) - N + F

My second equation was the net-force equation for the block:
Ma = -Mg*sin(theta) + N

solving for the acceleration in the top equation and plugging it into the second equation gives the following (after a small amount of algebra)

N = (F/m)*(1+M/m)^-1

Which is not the answer I am supposed to be getting. I am guessing the problem is with my net-force equations but I can't located a specific problem. Anyone want to explain what I'm doing wrong here?

Physics news on Phys.org
first try and write the net-force equation for the whole system (meaning substitute a block M and a string m, with a new object with mass M+m) Now we can forget about internal forces between mass and string. so we just have two force, the force f we apply and the one due to gravity. This way you can find a (acceleration) of the objects.

Likes PsychonautQQ
Your initial equations are ok but you must have gone wrong in the subsequent algebra. Your final equation is not dimensionally consistent.

Likes PsychonautQQ

FAQ: String with mass pulling block up frictionless ramp

1. How does the mass of the string affect the motion of the block on the frictionless ramp?

The mass of the string does not directly affect the motion of the block on the frictionless ramp. However, a heavier string may increase the overall weight of the system, which could potentially affect the acceleration of the block.

2. What is the significance of a frictionless ramp in this scenario?

A frictionless ramp allows us to isolate the effects of the string with mass on the motion of the block. Without friction, there will be no opposing force to slow down the block, allowing us to observe the effects of the string more clearly.

3. How does the angle of the ramp affect the motion of the block?

The angle of the ramp affects the acceleration of the block. The steeper the angle, the greater the acceleration of the block will be. This is due to the component of the force of gravity acting parallel to the ramp, which increases as the angle increases.

4. Can the string ever break while pulling the block up the ramp?

It is possible for the string to break if the tension force exceeds the breaking strength of the string. This could happen if the mass of the block is too heavy or if the angle of the ramp is too steep, causing a larger tension force on the string.

5. How does the acceleration of the block change as the string is pulled with a constant force?

The acceleration of the block will remain constant as long as the force applied by the string remains constant and there is no external force acting on the block. This is because the net force on the block is equal to the force applied by the string, divided by the mass of the block, according to Newton's second law.