Sum of the sum of harmonic series?

In summary, the conversation discusses the convergence or divergence of the series Ʃ1/(1+2+3+4+5...+n) as n approaches infinity. The attempt at a solution involves rewriting the series as Ʃ(Ʃ1/n) and comparing it to a known convergent series. The conversation also addresses a mistake made in the initial attempt at a solution.
Nikitin

Homework Statement

Does this converge or diverge?

Ʃ1/(1+2+3+4+5...+n), as n---> infinity?

The Attempt at a Solution

I rewrote this into Ʃ(Ʃ1/n) (is it correct?).

I figured that since Ʃ(1/n) diverges, then the sum of each partial sum most (obviously) also diverge.

However, it appears I'm mistaken. Can somebody help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Nikitin said:

Homework Statement

Does this converge or diverge?

Ʃ1/(1+2+3+4+5...+n), as n---> infinity?

The Attempt at a Solution

I rewrote this into Ʃ(Ʃ1/n) (is it correct?).

I figured that since Ʃ(1/n) diverges, then the sum of each partial sum most (obviously) also diverge.

However, it appears I'm mistaken. Can somebody help?

Is 1/(1+2) equal to (1/1) + (1/2)? Basically, you are claiming that the answer is yes.

RGV

oh crap. yeh you're right.

1+2+...+n=n(n+1)/2,so compare with the convergent series 2/n(n+1)

ahh thanks. i completely forgot that you could rewrite 1+2+3..+n into n(n+1)/2.. thx!

FAQ: Sum of the sum of harmonic series?

1. What is the harmonic series?

The harmonic series is an infinite series of numbers that consists of the reciprocals of positive integers. It can be represented by the formula 1 + 1/2 + 1/3 + 1/4 + ...

2. What is the sum of the sum of harmonic series?

The sum of the sum of harmonic series is a divergent series, meaning that its sum is infinite. This can be proven through mathematical analysis and is a well-known concept in mathematics.

3. How is the sum of the sum of harmonic series calculated?

The sum of the sum of harmonic series can be calculated using a mathematical technique called the Euler-Maclaurin summation formula. This formula provides an approximation of the sum and can be used to show that the sum is infinite.

4. What is the significance of the sum of the sum of harmonic series in mathematics?

The sum of the sum of harmonic series has several applications in mathematics, including in the study of number theory and calculus. It also serves as a fundamental example of a divergent series and helps to illustrate the concept of infinity in mathematics.

5. Is there a real-world application of the sum of the sum of harmonic series?

While the sum of the sum of harmonic series may not have a direct real-world application, the concept of divergent series has been applied in various fields, such as physics and economics. Additionally, understanding the properties of divergent series can help in the development of mathematical theories and techniques.