Sum somewhat similar to Basel problem?

• Thread starter physstudent.4
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sum
In summary, the problem involves finding the probability of a particle initially in the ground state on a circular loop of length L being in the nth state of the string after it is cut. This probability is given by P_{n=odd}=\frac{16}{\pi^2}\frac{n^2}{(n^2-4)^2} and P_{n=even}=0. The goal is to show that the sum over all possible states is 1, which can be represented by \sum_{n=1}^{\infty}=\frac{\pi^2}{6}. After attempting to write the probability as a derivative of n, the solution was found.
physstudent.4

Homework Statement

For a problem in quantum, I am finding the probability of a particle initially in the ground state on a circular loop of length L being in the nth state of the string after it is cut (becomes an infinite square well, and we assume the wavefunction is not disturbed during this cutting). I believe I found this probability, and am now trying to show that the sum over all possible states is 1. This is where I am stuck. I have

Homework Equations

## P_{n=odd}=\frac{16}{\pi^2}\frac{n^2}{(n^2-4)^2} ##
## P_{n=even}=0 ##
And maybe
## \sum_{n=1}^{\infty}=\frac{\pi^2}{6} ##

The Attempt at a Solution

The solution I have was getting thus far, and I am fairly confident in it. I do not expect a solution, just a point in the right direction. I did attempt to write my probability as a derivative of n, but that led to another dead end fairly quickly.

Physics news on Phys.org
Nevermind, figured it out!

FAQ: Sum somewhat similar to Basel problem?

1. What is the Basel problem?

The Basel problem is a mathematical problem that asks for the sum of the reciprocals of the squares of all positive integers. It was first posed by Pietro Mengoli in 1644 and was later solved by Leonhard Euler in 1735.

2. How is the Basel problem related to other famous mathematical problems?

The Basel problem is often compared to the famous Zeta function, which involves finding the sum of the reciprocals of all positive integers raised to a certain power. The Basel problem can also be seen as a special case of the Zeta function when the power is set to 2.

3. What is the significance of the solution to the Basel problem?

The solution to the Basel problem is significant because it showed a connection between two seemingly unrelated mathematical concepts - the sum of reciprocals and the Zeta function. This led to further developments in the study of number theory and analysis.

4. Are there any real-life applications of the Basel problem?

While the Basel problem itself does not have any direct real-life applications, the techniques used to solve it have been applied in other areas of mathematics and physics. For example, the solution involves the use of complex analysis, which has many practical applications in engineering and physics.

5. Can the Basel problem be solved for other powers instead of 2?

Yes, the Basel problem can be generalized to find the sum of the reciprocals of all positive integers raised to any power. This is known as the Apéry's theorem, which was proved by Roger Apéry in 1979. However, unlike the Basel problem which has a closed-form solution, the generalized version requires more advanced mathematical techniques and does not have a simple solution.