Synthesis Challenges at Innocentive.com

• Thread starter Astronuc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Challenge
In summary: I think that's one of the reasons I'm interested in synthesis - to see if I can approach something that is seemingly impossible and see if I can make a breakthrough.
Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
2023 Award
Innocentive.com provides opportunities for those who specialize in synthesis.

See examples at - http://www.innocentive.com/servlets/project/ProjectInfo.po?type=Chemistry&e=mar16_featured

Last edited by a moderator:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
Very nice...however definitely not at my level (still have yet to take physical, analytical, even the org. labs-taking org lab I right now, although I've completed both org I and II lecture courses). Perhaps movies or chemtr might be up to the challenge. Some of the challenges are interesting nevertheless.

Such as the challenge number 2242048, A one or two step reaction for direct oxidation of benzene to phenol is needed.

From what I know, benzene itself is susceptible to electrophiic substitutions, a direct oxidation to phenol can pertain to a nucleophilic substitution of benzene. The two reactions which are quite well known involve the meisenheimer complex and the other benzyne, both are completed within 1 or two steps, however not quite direct since a derivative of benzene is required at the beginning of each reaction.

Yeah, I've looked at the innocentive site before. There was a post doc in my undergrad lab who was working on one of the targets that had a $75k prize attached to it. I don't think he got it done in time though. Most of the molecules on that site are very difficult or address a particular problem in organic synthesis, like the oxidation of benzene to phenol. The tough thing about a lot of them is that people have already been working on these problems for a long time. The companies that post the targets have almost certainly already tried to synthesize these molecules or achieve the transformations, but have met with little or no success.

It would be a good thing if I had the energy and knowledge to pursue these kind of reactions, but I have never had it.

FAQ: Synthesis Challenges at Innocentive.com

1. What is Innocentive.com?

Innocentive.com is an online platform that connects organizations with a global network of over 400,000 problem solvers, including scientists, engineers, and entrepreneurs. It offers challenges for individuals or teams to solve complex problems and provides a platform for open innovation and collaboration.

2. What are synthesis challenges?

Synthesis challenges at Innocentive.com involve combining existing ideas or technologies to create a novel solution to a problem. These challenges require creativity, critical thinking, and the ability to connect seemingly unrelated concepts to develop an innovative solution.

3. How can I participate in a synthesis challenge at Innocentive.com?

To participate in a synthesis challenge, you can create a free account on Innocentive.com and browse through the current challenges. Once you find a challenge that interests you, you can submit your solution before the deadline. The best solutions are selected by the organization sponsoring the challenge and are awarded a monetary prize.

4. What types of organizations post synthesis challenges on Innocentive.com?

Innocentive.com has a diverse range of organizations that post synthesis challenges, including corporations, non-profits, and government agencies. These challenges cover a wide variety of industries, such as healthcare, technology, and energy.

5. Can I work with a team to solve a synthesis challenge at Innocentive.com?

Yes, Innocentive.com allows individuals to collaborate with a team to solve a challenge. You can invite team members through the platform or join a team that is already working on a challenge. However, the prize money will be split among the team members according to their agreed-upon terms.