The appropriate test statistic?

In summary, the researcher wanted to study the association between breast cancer and oral contraceptive use. They selected 50 women diagnosed with breast cancer and 50 women not having breast cancer and determined the use of oral contraceptives among those women. Forty women reported having used contraceptives, 25 of them were women diagnosed with breast cancer. The researcher further wanted to test if this association was statistically significant or not at alpha = 0.05, and they used the Robins-Breslow-Greenland estimator to calculate the variance of the ln(OR) for the data. The researcher concluded that the odds ratio for disease with and without oral contraceptives was not statistically significant at alpha = 0.05.
AyazM
Hello there, I am a medical student and I would like to discuss a slightly confusing question that I got in a certain examination. Here it is:

A researcher wanted to study the association between breast cancer and oral contraceptive use. She selected 50 women diagnosed with breast cancer and 50 women not having breast cancer, and determined the use of oral contraceptives among those women. Forty women reported having used contraceptives, 25 of them were women diagnosed with breast cancer.

The researcher further wants to test if this association is statistically significant or not at alpha = 0.05

1. State the null and alternative hypothesis
2. Calculate the appropriate test statistic
3. What is your decision and conclusion based on the calculated value of test statistic if the critical value of test statistic is 3.841 at alpha = 0.05?

Other parts of this question merely revolved around calculating and interpreting odds ratio but this particular bit was confusing. We have no calculators or t/z score tables in the examination. And till now, I still haven't been able to decide on what test statistic exactly did it prompt because it doesn't seem right trying a guess at using t/z or chi square tests here.

I'm sorry if I'm overlooking the "obvious" here because I'm not very well versed in mathematics.

Physics news on Phys.org
It seems simple enough. Just construct a 2x2 table. The columns will be, from left to right, the number of women with and without disease. The rows will be, from top (cells a,b) to bottom (cells c,d), women taking and not taking oral contraceptives. Arranged this way, ad/bc will be the odds ratio (relative risk estimate) for disease with and without oral contraceptives. The odds ratio(OR) does not have a normal distribution, but its log transform does. The Robins-Breslow-Greenland estimator (second link) for the variance of the ln(OR) is (1/a+1/b+1/c+1/d).

http://www.ispub.com/journal/the_internet_journal_of_epidemiology/volume_6_number_2_26/article/bias_adjusted_exposure_odds_ratio_for_misclassified_data_1.html

http://www.epi-perspectives.com/content/2/1/9

Last edited by a moderator:
Thankyou for the answer! I'm sure we have never been taught about Robins-Breslow-Greenland estimator neither is it found anywhere in our medical textbooks. Seems like an over-efficient effort on part of my examiner!

Still thanks for your answer :)

I can think about, test of compare 2 proportion, or Pearson good fit test. If I have my old test book where the details are.

FAQ: The appropriate test statistic?

1. What is a test statistic?

A test statistic is a numerical value calculated from a sample of data that is used to determine whether to reject or fail to reject the null hypothesis in a statistical hypothesis test. It is used to compare the observed data to what would be expected under the null hypothesis.

2. How do you determine which test statistic to use?

The appropriate test statistic to use depends on the type of data being analyzed and the research question being investigated. Some common types of test statistics include t-tests, ANOVA, chi-square, and correlation coefficients. It is important to choose a test statistic that is appropriate for the specific research question and data being analyzed.

3. What is the purpose of a test statistic?

The purpose of a test statistic is to provide a way to measure the strength of evidence against the null hypothesis. It allows researchers to determine whether the observed data is consistent with the null hypothesis or if there is enough evidence to reject it in favor of an alternative hypothesis.

4. How is the test statistic calculated?

The specific calculation of a test statistic depends on the type of test being performed. However, in general, it involves comparing the observed data to the expected data under the null hypothesis. This is often done by calculating the difference between the observed data and the expected data, and then standardizing this difference by dividing it by the standard error.

5. Can the test statistic be used to prove a hypothesis?

No, the test statistic cannot be used to prove a hypothesis. It can only provide evidence for or against the null hypothesis. The decision to reject or fail to reject the null hypothesis must be made based on the calculated p-value and the predetermined significance level, not solely on the value of the test statistic.