The Big Question: Folding or Scrunching Toiletries?

• Thread starter ||spoon||
  • Start date
In summary: I am a folder from way back. As a matter of fact, I believe I come from several generations of folders.I just can't imagine life before toilet paper. But having traveled through Europe where bathrooms at train stations are no more than holes in the floor and nothing to wipe with. That toilets on trains were simply holes in the bottom of the train where you could see the track going by under you and the breeze was not conducive to urinating. Of course there was a sign asking you not to relieve yourself when nearing a road crossing as you would spray people waiting to cross.Well, I figure the OP should put in his two cents about now.I would say i am a

scrunching or folding??

• I'm a folder!

Votes: 23 57.5%
  • I'm a scruncher!

Votes: 13 32.5%
  • I have a different method (explain!?!?)

Votes: 4 10.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
||spoon||
Now, I've been on PF for a little while and have noted a vast array of important polling questions...

HOWEVER! We are missing one, and not just any one either. We're missing the BIG one.

So in the name of science and for the benefit of mankind I think it appropriate to ask this question, in a hope to answer this conundrum of the ages...

What is better?

Folding or Scrunching?

The fate of the toiletry ritual hangs in the balance, vote wisely and good luck!

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm a person laughing my @ss off at this poll...!

lisab said:
I'm a person laughing my @ss off at this poll...!

In that case, you needn't do either.

I fold first, then I may scrunch it some.

Different Method

origami-animal-project-swan.jpg

Works a treat, say goodbye to those hard to reach areas.

I crumple :(

_Mayday_ said:
Different Method

origami-animal-project-swan.jpg

Works a treat, say goodbye to those hard to reach areas.

I crumple :(

:smile:

Crumple vs. fold? I'm more surprised that there has been no debate over whether the paper should hang over or under the roll.

Math Is Hard said:

Crumple vs. fold? I'm more surprised that there has been no debate over whether the paper should hang over or under the roll.

I didn't think the direction the paper hung ever mattered until I got a cat, then I found it needs to hang down behind the roll, not in front. If it hangs down behind the roll and the cat decides to paw at the roll and spin it, it stays wound up. If it hangs in front of the roll, and she spins it, she gets a nice, unraveled length of TP to grab and run with!

I didn't realize people folded TP before using it. That seems like a lot of effort, and overly dainty for something used for such a purpose and immediately discarded!

Argh! Its hangs down in front and is folded. Are you people mad?

Kurdt said:
I thought we were talking about toilet paper. :blushing:

Evo said:
I thought we were talking about toilet paper. :blushing:

:smile: If only the second part were true.

then what is the relation ?

I am WAY TOO LAZY to fold...

There are only so many hours in a day, people! How many hours are wasted folding?! :biggrin:

G01 said:
I am WAY TOO LAZY to fold...

There are only so many hours in a day, people! How many hours are wasted folding?! :biggrin:
As it comes off the roll, you can either wrap it around your hand so it's naturally folded or just let it drop into folds, the sections cause this naturally.

I, for once, am shocked that in this day and age, with all the information we have available, scientists and mathematicians (of all people!) would ever even consider scrunching!

I expect this from the uneducated man who does not understand the intricacies of proper toilet-paper usage and what an ineffective use of the toilet's surface area scrunching is.

but you. yes, YOU!: 42% of PF who scrunch... you, who haughtily admit to taking part in this most terrible of practices. Have you no scruples!

A dark age for science. A step back for humanity. Thank you, ||spoon||, for bringing this issue to light.

I agree with Evo, it's only natural to fold when the roll is perforated just right. You have to fold (or scrunch alot), otherwise your finger just pops through.

Is this a question about @ss wiping? Anyways, I'll with hold comments, but interject these two words. Polish Method

I'm a folder from way back. As a matter of fact, I believe I come from several generations of folders.

I just can't imagine life before toilet paper.

But having traveled through Europe where bathrooms at train stations are no more than holes in the floor and nothing to wipe with. That toilets on trains were simply holes in the bottom of the train where you could see the track going by under you and the breeze was not conducive to urinating. Of course there was a sign asking you not to relieve yourself when nearing a road crossing as you would spray people waiting to cross.

Well i figure the OP should put in his two cents about now.

I would say i am a folder, however, a folder with variation! A variation i like to call the "wrap and withdraw method" I have found it to be the quickest and most efficient form of "cleaning the crevice".

Simply put (for there are exhaustive volumes dedicated to the method) you wrap the toilet paper (which is hanging from the front) around your hand as many times as you deem nesscary to get the job done, whilst not wrapping TOO tightly.

Once you have a sufficient amount of "poo tickets", you withdraw your hand and you are left with a nice and neat, fool proof and folded piece of genius to do the dirty work.

Then you must always remember and never forget to FLUSH! or else it may turn ugly.

-||spoon||

Kurdt said:
Kurdt is correct. All others are stupidheads.

moe darklight said:
I, for once, am shocked that in this day and age, with all the information we have available, scientists and mathematicians (of all people!) would ever even consider scrunching!

I expect this from the uneducated man who does not understand the intricacies of proper toilet-paper usage and what an ineffective use of the toilet's surface area scrunching is.

but you. yes, YOU!: 42% of PF who scrunch... you, who haughtily admit to taking part in this most terrible of practices. Have you no scruples!

A dark age for science. A step back for humanity. Thank you, ||spoon||, for bringing this issue to light.

Well, if you're going to fold, why bother using more than one sheet at a time? You get the same surface area that way.

Moonbear said:
I didn't think the direction the paper hung ever mattered until I got a cat, then I found it needs to hang down behind the roll, not in front. If it hangs down behind the roll and the cat decides to paw at the roll and spin it, it stays wound up. If it hangs in front of the roll, and she spins it, she gets a nice, unraveled length of TP to grab and run with!

Strangely enough, it's the opposite with Lucy. Of course, there's more of a tendency to leave a protruding segment exposed if it's down the back, whereas you can back-roll it from the front without leaving yourself the hardship of manually rolling it out.
As to my personal habits... they're personal. Let's just say that W uses at least 6 or 7 rolls to my one. I don't know what she does, and I don't want to. Mine involves soap and water.

Moonbear said:
Well, if you're going to fold, why bother using more than one sheet at a time? You get the same surface area that way.
Thickness Moonbear. You don't want your fingers breaking through. But the total surface is smaller when folded along perforation lines, so less waste. I'm kind of a middle of the road, folder/scruncher.

Danger said:
Mine involves soap and water.
Ever use a bidet?

I almost made the mistake of using one the first time I saw one. I couldn't understand why there were faucet handles.

Evo said:
Thickness Moonbear. You don't want your fingers breaking through.
And that's exactly why one should scrunch...it puts maximum distance between wiping surface and fingers with the same amount of TP. :approve:

Evo said:
Ever use a bidet?

I almost made the mistake of using one the first time I saw one. I couldn't understand why there were faucet handles.

No, I've never encountered one. I'm almost as old as you, though, so I don't believe that a mechanical device can be better at it than I can do by hand.

Evo said:
As it comes off the roll, you can either wrap it around your hand so it's naturally folded or just let it drop into folds, the sections cause this naturally.

OK. I'll give you that Evo, but scrunching is much better way to relieve stress and anger. The paper acts as a stress ball of sorts and.....Does this mean I have an anger problem??

G01 said:
Does this mean I have an anger problem??
Yes, I'm afraid it does.

From now on you must use leaves gathered from outside. Be at one with nature.

Lets just say that the Polish Method is based all around fingers going through (actually just one finger)

Evo said:
Yes, I'm afraid it does.

From now on you must use leaves gathered from outside. Be at one with nature.

LEAVES! SO ANGRY! And they don't even scrunch well!

...Oh hey look! Is that Poison Oak?...oh boy...

have you guys heard of how to wipe it with a bus ticket? lol

Evo said:
Of course there was a sign asking you not to relieve yourself when nearing a road crossing as you would spray people waiting to cross.

So, as you're sitting there on the train throne, how do you know a road crossing is coming? Is there some sort of signal? Like, uh-oh, the light is flashing...good thing I've been doing my Kegels...!

I was on a similar train in thailand... can't remember how/if you knew a road was coming or not though.

Now the toilets in the Karen hilltribes... won't forget them any time soon...

Ever read "Into thin air"? The village they stay in right before going up to base camp. BTW, my dad grew up with and was close friends with the authors sister.

lisab said:
So, as you're sitting there on the train throne, how do you know a road crossing is coming? Is there some sort of signal? Like, uh-oh, the light is flashing...good thing I've been doing my Kegels...!

Sounds to me more like if you're a pedestrian waiting near a train crossing and see a train coming, it's best to back up quite some distance away from the crossing...just in case!