The figure below shows an object on an inclined

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving an object on an inclined ramp connected to a second object on a horizontal surface below an overhang. An external force is exerted on the object on the ramp, causing both objects to accelerate. The question asks for the tension in the string connecting the two objects, assuming frictionless surfaces and a massless string and pulley. Through calculations using free body diagrams, the tension is found to be equal to the second object's mass multiplied by the acceleration.
oneshot

Homework Statement

The figure below shows an object on an inclined ramp of mass 1.30 kg. The angle of the inclined surface is 25° with the horizontal. The object on the ramp is connected to a second object of mass 2.98 kg on a horizontal surface below an overhang that is formed by the inclined surface. Further, an external force of magnitude 10.73 N is exerted on the object on the ramp. We observe both objects to accelerate. Assuming that the surfaces and the pulley are frictionless, and the connecting string and the pulley are massless, what is the tension in the string connecting the two objects?

I AM DESPERATELY IN NEED OF HELP ! PLEASEE!

Homework Equations

SEE ATTACHEMENT

The Attempt at a Solution

1, For block 1, i don't know if my forces are correct, they seem to be wrong
For block 2, mg and T are in different directions, how do I use ma= net force?
Does the normal force on block 2 cancel out with the m2g so ma= Ft?

1.3 a = 10.73N - Ft - mgsin25
1.3a = 5.346 - Ft
2.98a = Ft
a = 1.249 m/s^2

Attachments

• photo (1).JPG
    photo (1).JPG
    24.5 KB · Views: 407
Physics news on Phys.org
I cannot see the geometry of the situation from your diagram. eg. I see two blocks in the diagram, both with forces mg on them, one directly below the other, but no means to attach them. There are no pulleys in the diagram either.

This is probably the source of mistakes ... redraw the diagram more carefully and start again.
Draw free body diagrams for each mass.

For block 2, mg and T are in different directions, how do I use ma= net force?

You can forget/ignore mg on block 2. It's acting at 90 degrees to FT. There is no friction so for block 2...

FT = m2 * a

Last edited:
CWatters said:
You can forget/ignore mg on block 2. It's acting at 90 degrees to FT. There is no friction so for block 2...

FT = m2 * a

then is my calculation correct?

Only had a quick look but seems ok to me.
Don't forget the question also asked for the tension.

Ok, thanks!

FAQ: The figure below shows an object on an inclined

What is the purpose of an inclined plane?

An inclined plane is a simple machine that reduces the amount of force needed to lift an object by increasing the distance over which the force is applied. It is commonly used to move objects from a lower to a higher elevation.

How does the angle of an inclined plane affect the amount of force required?

The steeper the angle of an inclined plane, the greater the force needed to move an object up the plane. This is because the component of the force acting against gravity increases as the angle increases.

What is the relationship between the height and length of an inclined plane?

The height and length of an inclined plane are inversely proportional. This means that as the length of the inclined plane increases, the height decreases, and vice versa.

What factors affect the amount of work done when using an inclined plane?

The amount of work done when using an inclined plane is affected by the length, angle, and weight of the object being moved. Friction and the efficiency of the inclined plane can also impact the amount of work done.

How is the mechanical advantage of an inclined plane calculated?

The mechanical advantage of an inclined plane is calculated by dividing the length of the inclined plane by the height. This gives the ratio of the force needed to move an object up the plane to the weight of the object.