Theoretical Theorys of Magnetic Force and Origin

In summary, the conversation discusses theories for magnetic force, specifically the force of magnetism between two poles. Theories such as quantum electrodynamics and classical electrodynamics are mentioned, with a suggestion to read J.D. Jackson's book. The concept of virtual photons and the electromagnetic field are also brought up as possible explanations. Ultimately, it is concluded that QED is the most accurate theory currently available.
BrettJimison
Does anyone have a good theory for magnetic force?
No need to talk about domain alignment or electron spin, (although if you have something deeper then just electron spin, id love to hear it)this much is known. I'm talking about the actual FORCE of magnetism. As in: If you are in a vacuum, there must be something between two poles for them to push or pull against each other, since there is NOTHING (or at least seems to be nothing) in space between the two poles, what is causing force? Or put simpler: Why does what one electron is doing in place, effect what another is doing in another place, when their seems to be nothing connecting them?

This is obviously theoretical, since it seems no one really knows what this force is, but I am still interested in anyone's theory! Anyone?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes! I have studied QED quite a bit, but I was looking for some different theorys...
I will look into J.D Jackson's book, thanks!

BrettJimison said:
Yes! I have studied QED quite a bit, but I was looking for some different theorys...
I will look into J.D Jackson's book, thanks!

This is a bit puzzling. How have you "studied" QED, and yet, you haven't come across Jackson's classic text? Shouldn't one start from that first?

Zz.

BrettJimison said:
I have bad news for you: QED is by far the best theory we have today. Unless you develop your own (not in this forum, please), everything else is an approximation to QED or very speculative (or both).

As in: If you are in a vacuum, there must be something between two poles for them to push or pull against each other, since there is NOTHING (or at least seems to be nothing) in space between the two poles
There is the electromagnetic field.

Mfb - Yes, I completely agree. I just have a hard time picturing virtual photons . I know it works on the math side, but I have difficulty visualizing it happening in the real world.

FAQ: Theoretical Theorys of Magnetic Force and Origin

1. What is the origin of magnetic force?

The origin of magnetic force is the movement of charged particles, such as electrons, which create a magnetic field. This field can interact with other magnetic fields to produce a force.

2. How do magnets attract and repel each other?

Magnets attract and repel each other due to the alignment of their magnetic fields. Like poles (north and north or south and south) repel each other, while opposite poles (north and south) attract.

3. What is the difference between magnetic force and electric force?

Magnetic force is the force exerted by a magnetic field on a moving charged particle, while electric force is the force exerted by an electric field on a charged particle. They are both fundamental forces of nature, but act in different ways.

4. Can magnetic force be shielded or blocked?

Yes, magnetic force can be shielded or blocked by certain materials, such as iron or steel, which are attracted to magnets and can redirect the magnetic field. However, it is not possible to completely eliminate magnetic force.

5. How are magnetic fields created?

Magnetic fields are created by the movement of charged particles, such as electrons, within a material or through space. When these particles align and move in the same direction, they create a magnetic field around them.

Back