Thermodynamics: Conservation of energy problem

In summary, a closed system undergoes a process with a net energy transfer of 200 Btu by work and a net heat transfer of 30 Btu. The system ends with a velocity of 200 ft/sec at an elevation of 200 ft. With a mass of 50lb and an acceleration due to gravity of 32 ft/s2, the change in internal energy of the system is 170 Btu. This includes the increase in potential energy due to the system's movement. To convert the units to Btu, 1 Btu is equal to 778.3 ft-lb, and 1 lb of force is equal to 1 lb of mass multiplied by 32.2 ft/sec2.
lwelch70

Homework Statement

A closed system initially at rest on the surface of the Earth undergoes a process for which there is a net energy transfer to the system by work of 200 Btu. During the process, there is a net heat transfer from the system of 30 Btu. At the end of the process, the system has velocity of 200 ft/sec at an elevation of 200 ft. The mass of the system is 50lb and the local acceleration due to gravity is 32 ft/s2. Determine the change in internal energy of the system for this process, in Btu.

Homework Equations

[itex]\Delta[/itex]E = [itex]\Delta[/itex]U + [itex]\Delta[/itex]KE + [itex]\Delta[/itex] PE

The Attempt at a Solution

So I understand that the system initially has 200 Btu transferred to it. And 30 Btu taken away from the heat.

So my understanding of that is that [itex]\Delta[/itex]E is equal to 170 Btu. Correct?

In calculating the [itex]\Delta[/itex]KE, all I see is that initially it is 0, and after it is 1/2mv2. This gives my units in [itex]\frac{lbft^2}{s^2}[/itex]

How do I get this in Btu? I'm not very good with units.

Also, would I include [itex]\Delta[/itex]PE since the system is moving at the end of process?

Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone?

No help?

Maybe this can help you;

Btu / lbm = 25,037 ft2 / s2

or you can also use any conversation software/website from pound force to btu.

I think everything you've written is good. Yes, the increase in potential energy must be included in your equation.

I also don't like dealing in the British units system. It doesn't help that there are more than one of them - BG and EE and god knows what else (see link below). The thing you need is converting BTU to ft-pounds: •1 Btu (British thermal unit) = 778.3 ft-lb. Now everything is in pounds of mass, pounds of force, feet and seconds. In this case I suppose we're dealing with the EE system since mass is given in pounds, not slugs. So 1 lb of force = 1 lb of mass * 32.2 ft/sec2. The last number is of course g, the acceleration of gravity, which everybody but the Brits know as 9.81 m/sec2. :-)

Actually, there IS a similar confusion with folks using kg - they use kg to mean both force and mass, exactly analogous to the misuse of pounds. Scientists of course avoid using kg for force or weight, using Newtons instead.

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/mass-weight-d_589.html

Related to Thermodynamics: Conservation of energy problem

1. What is the law of conservation of energy in thermodynamics?

The law of conservation of energy in thermodynamics states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but can only be transferred or converted from one form to another.

2. How is the conservation of energy problem solved in thermodynamics?

The conservation of energy problem is solved by using the first law of thermodynamics, which states that the change in internal energy of a system is equal to the heat added to the system minus the work done by the system.

3. What are some examples of energy conservation in thermodynamics?

Examples of energy conservation in thermodynamics include the conversion of chemical energy in food to mechanical energy in the body, the conversion of heat energy to mechanical energy in an engine, and the conversion of electrical energy to light energy in a light bulb.

4. Why is the conservation of energy important in thermodynamics?

The conservation of energy is important in thermodynamics because it is a fundamental law of nature that governs the behavior of energy in all physical systems. It allows us to predict and understand how energy is transferred and transformed in various processes.

5. How does the conservation of energy relate to the second law of thermodynamics?

The second law of thermodynamics states that the total entropy of a closed system will never decrease over time. This is related to the conservation of energy because in any energy transfer or transformation, some energy will always be lost as heat, increasing the overall entropy of the system.