Three boxes on different inclines

• Thread starter Packocrayons
  • Start date
In summary, the problem involves three boxes, B, A, and C, with B weighing 2.0kg and sitting on a flat surface. Box A is tied to box B and weighs 8.0kg, sitting on an incline of 110 degrees from the horizontal. Box C is tied to box B, weighs 9.0kg, and sits on an angle of 130 degrees from the horizontal. All ropes are supported by pulleys. The problem asks for the acceleration of the system assuming no friction, the coefficient of static friction for the system to remain motionless, and the acceleration and tension in both strings assuming a coefficient of kinetic friction of 0.050. The solution involves calculating the net force on
Packocrayons

Homework Statement

There are three boxes, box B weighs 2.0kg, and is sitting on a flat surface. To the left is box A, tied to box B. Box A weighs 8.0kg and is sitting on an incline 110 degrees from the horizontal (or 70 depending on the location of the measurement). To the right of box B is box C, sitting on an angle 130* from the horizontal, tied to box B. It weighs 9.0kg. All ropes are supported by pulleys.
a)assuming no friction, calculate acceleration of the system
b) calculate coefficient of static friction to remain motionless
c) coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.050, calculate acceleration and tension in both strings

Homework Equations

fnet = ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I managed to get an acceleration of 1.57m/s to the right, but I feel like it's wrong, I can't seem to get the components of gravity to work out right, I think I'm doing something wrong there.
I haven't got to B or C because I don't want to go through the entire thing with incorrect numbers.

Physics news on Phys.org
Update : turns out I had cosine and sine reversed so my components were in the wrong direction, I got an acceleration of 0.57 m/s/s which is much more reasonable.

FAQ: Three boxes on different inclines

What is the Three Boxes on Different Inclines Experiment?

The Three Boxes on Different Inclines experiment is a classic physics experiment that involves three boxes placed on different inclines. This experiment is used to demonstrate the effects of gravity and friction on objects on inclined planes.

What materials are needed for the Three Boxes on Different Inclines experiment?

The materials needed for this experiment include three boxes of different sizes and weights, three inclined planes, a ruler or measuring tape, a stopwatch, and a flat surface to conduct the experiment on.

How is the Three Boxes on Different Inclines experiment performed?

To perform this experiment, the three boxes should be placed on the three different inclined planes. The inclines should be at different angles and each box should be released from the same height. The time it takes for each box to reach the bottom of the incline should be measured and recorded.

What factors affect the results of the Three Boxes on Different Inclines experiment?

The results of this experiment may be affected by the angle of the incline, the weight and size of the boxes, and the presence of friction on the inclined planes. The results may also vary depending on the accuracy of the measurements taken.

What conclusions can be drawn from the results of the Three Boxes on Different Inclines experiment?

The results of this experiment can be used to demonstrate the relationship between gravity, mass, and friction. The steeper the incline, the faster the box will roll down due to the increased pull of gravity. The heavier the box, the faster it will roll down the incline. The presence of friction will slow down the box's descent. These conclusions can be applied to real-life situations and further experiments involving inclined planes.

Back