Time derivative of relativistic momentum

In summary, the formula for relativistic momentum is p(t) = m * gamma(t) * v(t), where gamma is equal to c/sqrt(c^2-v^2) and c is the speed of light. The time derivative of p(t) is equal to gamma^3 * a(t), with a(t) being the derivative of v(t) with respect to time. This formula is not commonly seen in textbooks, possibly due to the use of rapidity instead of velocity when describing the motion of an accelerating particle. However, it is a valid and useful concept, and the conserved quantity p(t) can be derived from it.
birulami
Did I understand correctly that relativistic momentum is

[tex]p(t) = m\cdot\gamma(t)\cdot v(t)[/tex],​

where [itex]\gamma = c/\sqrt{c^2-v^2}[/itex] and [itex]c[/itex] is the speed of light? For the fun of it I wrote down the time derivative and got

[tex]{d\over dt}p(t) = \gamma^3(t)\cdot a(t)[/tex]​

with [itex]a(t) = d v(t)/dt[/itex]. Yet I cannot find the funny exponent of 3 of a [itex]\gamma[/itex] anywhere in a book. Am I missing a trivial transformation of [itex]\gamma^3 a[/itex] into a better known form? Or is it that the time derivative of relativistic momentum is not an important concept, which is why I did not come across this formula before?

Additional question: is [itex]p[/itex] as define above is a conserved quantity?

Harald.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
No, the mass is constant. It's the relativistic mass (=[itex]\gamma m[/itex]) that isn't constant.

Birulami, your calculation is fine, and yes, the p you have defined is conserved. I don't know why you can't find it in a book. One possible reason is that it's often convenient to talk about rapidity instead of velocity when you're describing the motion of an accelerating particle. E.g. in post #15 in this thread, the ^3 appears on a hyperbolic function (eq. 12).

You may also find the calculation I did in #15 in this thread interesting.

Last edited:
You're right, I plead temporary brain lapse. The mass is constant. [tex] \gamma [/tex] ensures that m is the rest mass.

[tex]\frac{d\bf p}{dt}= m\frac{d}{dt}\left[\frac{\bf v}
{\sqrt{1-{\bf v}^2}}\right]
= m[\gamma{\bf a}+\gamma^3{\bf v(v\cdot a)}]
=m\gamma^3[{\bf a}+{\bf v\times(v\times a)}][/tex].
with c=1. Either final form is useful.
dp/dt is important, and is discussed in advanced texts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fredrik said:
You may also find the calculation I did in #15 in this thread interesting.

Indeed. I'll take a closer look. Thanks,
Harald.

Related to Time derivative of relativistic momentum

1. What is the time derivative of relativistic momentum?

The time derivative of relativistic momentum is a mathematical concept used in Einstein's theory of relativity to describe the change in momentum of a moving object over time. It is denoted by the symbol dP/dt and is equal to the product of an object's mass and its acceleration.

2. How is the time derivative of relativistic momentum calculated?

The time derivative of relativistic momentum can be calculated using the equation dP/dt = m*dv/dt, where m is the mass of the object and dv/dt is the acceleration. This equation takes into account the effects of time dilation and length contraction in relativity.

3. What is the significance of the time derivative of relativistic momentum?

The time derivative of relativistic momentum is significant because it helps us understand how an object's momentum changes over time in a relativistic framework. It allows us to accurately describe the motion of objects traveling at high speeds, where classical Newtonian mechanics break down.

4. How does the time derivative of relativistic momentum differ from the classical definition of momentum?

The time derivative of relativistic momentum differs from the classical definition of momentum in that it takes into account the effects of time dilation and length contraction. In classical mechanics, momentum is simply defined as the product of an object's mass and velocity.

5. Can the time derivative of relativistic momentum be negative?

Yes, the time derivative of relativistic momentum can be negative. This can occur when an object's velocity decreases over time, resulting in a decrease in momentum. In relativity, the concept of momentum is more complex and can have both positive and negative values depending on the direction of an object's motion.