Tossing Coins: 5 consecutive heads out of 10 attempts?

• Thread starter DannyCPA
  • Start date
In summary: I think I figured it out. In summary, the coin will be tossed 10 times. The probability of event A, which is that the longest run of consecutive heads has length 5 (i.e., within your 10 tosses there is a run of 5 Heads in a row, but not 6 consecutive Heads.), is .0625. The probability of event B, which is that the longest run of consecutive heads has length 5 or more., is .0625.
DannyCPA

Homework Statement

Suppose you will toss a coin 10 times.

A) Compute the probability of event A that the longest run of consecutive Heads has length 5 (i.e., within your 10 tosses there is a run of 5 Heads in a row, but not 6 consecutive Heads.)

B) Compute the probability of the event B that the longest run of consecutive Heads has length 5 or more.

Homework Equations

Basic permutations, combinations, and counting rules.

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay, so, I am pretty sure I have solved this in a very long and cumbersome way. There has to be a simpler way to do it.

My approach: I essentially counted the "possible" outcomes. For instance, one example that satisfies P(A) = H,H,H,H,H,T,2,2,2,2. Thus, there are 24 possible outcomes for that specific sequence/position that satisfies A. I continued from there, moving to the right, placing a "T" before and after my sequence of 5 consecutive heads to act as a placeholder allowing me to compute the number of ways such a sequence, at such a position, could occur.

I did a similar approach for B. Suprisingly enough, my results were a probability of.0625 for both of them.

My question is this: Is there a better way than to sit there and try to chart out the possible placements and outcomes?

What makes this hard is the consecutive placement.

I have taken Calculus I, Calculus II, and various other math classes below it, however, this is my first serious "Probability" class.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to Physics Forums!

Here is my approach:

A) You got . . . THHHHHT

Let a=THHHHHT (because there must be 5 consecutive heads, tails must be from the begging and the end to avoid 6 or 7 consecutive heads)

Now you got . . .a

A dot . means that there is open space for T or H. Do you figure it out now?

Does this gave you idea for B) ?

Last edited:
njama said:
Welcome to Physics Forums!

Here is my approach:

A) You got ..THHHHHT

Let a=THHHHHT (because there must be 5 consecutive heads, tails must be from the begging and the end to avoid 6 or 7 consecutive heads)

Now you got ..a

A dot . means that there is open space for T or H. Do you figure it out now?

Does this gave you idea for B) ?

Hmm, your method pretty much is the same as what I utilized to approach this, less different signifiers.

Where I used "2," you used a "." This method does seem to work, but I refuse to believe there is no other way other than literally "counting" the possibilities. Combinations/permutations have to be utilized, but how do these two take into account consecutive streaks?

DannyCPA said:
Hmm, your method pretty much is the same as what I utilized to approach this, less different signifiers.

Where I used "2," you used a "." This method does seem to work, but I refuse to believe there is no other way other than literally "counting" the possibilities. Combinations/permutations have to be utilized, but how do these two take into account consecutive streaks?

You literally do not count anything.

You got a . . . where . could be H or T

You can have a . . . , . a . . , . . a ., . . . a

And that is [itex]4*P_2^3=2^5[/itex]
I don't find this method messy.

Last edited:
njama said:
You literally do not count anything.

You got a . . . where . could be H or T

You can have a . . . , . a . . , . . a ., . . . a

And that is [itex]4*P_2^3=2^5[/itex]
I don't find this method messy.

Njama,

I don't see where the permutation comes in. By your definition, "a..." represents
= "THHHHHT222," where 2 is the number of possible outcomes at that position that satisfies this sequence, correct?

If so, isn't that 23, which is not P(3,2).

And lastly, what about the possibility of "HHHHHT2222," or what I assign, the 24. Your DPS (discrete probability space) does not capture that possibility, nor the one of "2222THHHHH," or the other edge.

Anyways, I appreciate your effort to assist me, and I believe we are getting closer to computing this tedious problem.

DannyCPA said:
Njama,

I don't see where the permutation comes in. By your definition, "a..." represents
= "THHHHHT222," where 2 is the number of possible outcomes at that position that satisfies this sequence, correct?

If so, isn't that 23, which is not P(3,2).

Ok I assume we are using different notations.

[tex]P_n^k=n^k[/tex]

We got n=2 (T, H) and k (three places) of putting T and H with repetitive manner.

DannyCPA said:
And lastly, what about the possibility of "HHHHHT2222," or what I assign, the 24. Your DPS (discrete probability space) does not capture that possibility, nor the one of "2222THHHHH," or the other edge.

Anyways, I appreciate your effort to assist me, and I believe we are getting closer to computing this tedious problem.

I guess you are right. Good spot. :approve:

Now let's suppose a=HHHHH

a . . . . .

Here H can't be on second place so

aT. . . .

H can't be on first or third either

TaT. . .

and so on...

. TaT. .

. . .TaT

. . . . Ta

Am I right now, or I missed something? :smile:

You are missing ..TaT., I believe. Thus, computing this should lead to (after simplification): 26 / 210 = 1 / 24 = .0625

Great approach, btw.

Last edited:
[tex]4*2^3+2*2^4=2^5+2^5=2^6[/tex]

[tex]2^6 / 2^{10} = 1/2^4 =.0625[/tex]

I guess you are right. :smile:

For B) is much harder.

Consider HHHHH... 25

THHHHH... 24

.THHHHH... 24

and so on...

Last edited:

FAQ: Tossing Coins: 5 consecutive heads out of 10 attempts?

1. What is the probability of getting 5 consecutive heads out of 10 coin tosses?

The probability of getting 5 consecutive heads out of 10 coin tosses is approximately 3.1%. This can be calculated by using the binomial distribution formula (nCr * p^r * q^(n-r)), where n is the number of trials (10), r is the number of successes (5), p is the probability of success on a single trial (1/2 for a fair coin), and q is the probability of failure on a single trial (1-p).

2. Is it possible to get 5 consecutive heads out of 10 coin tosses?

Yes, it is possible to get 5 consecutive heads out of 10 coin tosses. However, the probability of this occurring is low at approximately 3.1%.

3. How many different outcomes are possible when tossing a coin 10 times?

When tossing a coin 10 times, there are 1024 (2^10) different possible outcomes. This is because for each toss, there are 2 possible outcomes (heads or tails), and the total number of outcomes is calculated by multiplying the number of outcomes for each toss.

4. What is the likelihood of getting 5 consecutive heads in a row?

The likelihood of getting 5 consecutive heads in a row is the same as the probability of getting 5 consecutive heads out of 10 attempts, which is approximately 3.1%.

5. If I toss a coin 10 times and get 5 consecutive heads, what are the chances of getting 5 consecutive heads again in the next 10 tosses?

The chances of getting 5 consecutive heads again in the next 10 tosses is the same as the initial probability of getting 5 consecutive heads out of 10 attempts, which is approximately 3.1%. Each coin toss is an independent event, so the outcome of the previous tosses does not affect the probability of the next toss.

Back