Transformation Matrix for Derivative Operator Acting on Third Order Polynomials

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the matrix for the transformation DT, where D is the derivative operator and T: V -> V, T(p(x)) = xp'(x), for a third order polynomial with basis (1,x,x^2,x^3). The method attempted involves using column vectors and results in a 4x4 matrix that does not match the solution in the book. The correct approach is to use a general third order polynomial with corresponding vector [a,b,c,d], and the resulting matrix would be [0,1,0,0], [0,0,4,0], [0,0,0,9], [0,0,0,0].
unfunf22

Homework Statement

Find m(DT), that is, find the matrix for the transformation DT where D is the derivative operator and T: V -> V , T(p(x)) = xp'(x).
The polynomial is of degree <= 3, and the basis for it is (1,x,x^2, x^3).

Homework Equations

Basic matrix multiplication needs to be understood.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have DT(1,x,x^2,x^3) -> D((0,x,2x^2,3x^3)) -> (0, 1, 4x, 9x^2).
So I form my matrix by solving the following:
M*[1, x, x^2, x^3] = [0, 1, 4x, 9x^2].
I get that the matrix is 4x4, of course, and is defined by row-vectors as follows:

[0,0,0,0], [0,1,0,0], [0,0,4,0], [0,0,0,9].
As you see, that matrix does take (1,x,x^2,x^3) -> (0,1,4x,9x^2).

The book; however, says that the transformation matrix is the following, defined by row vectors: [0,1,0,0], [0,0,4,0], [0,0,0,9], [0,0,0,0].
I can't see how that gives the right answer.

What am I doing wrong here?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your notation is... peculiar. I think all you need to do is pay more care to what you write really means.

DT(1,x,x^2,x^3) -> D((0,x,2x^2,3x^3)) -> (0, 1, 4x, 9x^2)​
What did you really mean by this? Is this just shorthand for the four equations
DT(1) = 0
DT(x) = 1
DT(x^2) = 4x
DT(x^3) = 9x^2​
or did you mean something else?

M*[1, x, x^2, x^3]​
This doesn't make sense -- it would be the matrix product of a 4x4 array of scalars with a 1x4 array of vectors...

I meant that [1,x,x^2,x^3] is a column-vector, so it would look like
|1|
|x|
|x^2|
|x^3|

M multiplying that, so it would be 4x4 matrix times a 4x1 amatrix, to give out a 4x1 matrix.

unfunf22 said:

Homework Statement

The Attempt at a Solution

I have DT(1,x,x^2,x^3) -> D((0,x,2x^2,3x^3)) -> (0, 1, 4x, 9x^2).
You shouldn't have any xs in those vectors. The basis for your space is 1, x, x2, and x3. The various powers of x come from the basis, not the vectors. For example, the vector that corresponds to the polynomial 1+x+x2+x3 is simply [1,1,1,1].

So then I should be showing that D(T([1,1,1,1])) -> [0,1,4,9] ? Wouldn't this still have the same problem as before? Can I not consider these as column vectors? Maybe that's the issue.

unfunf22 said:
So then I should be showing that D(T([1,1,1,1])) -> [0,1,4,9] ?
No, you should be showing that D(T([1,1,1,1])) -> [1,4,9,0].

Oh, alright, well if I have DT([1,1,1,1]) = [1,4,9,0] then that would be

the matrix would be
[1,0,0,0]
[0,4,0,0]
[0,0,9,0]
[0,0,0,0]
As [1,0,0,0]*[1,1,1,1] = [1] (corresponding to 0 degree poly)
[0,4,0,0]*[1,1,1,1] = [4] (corresponding to x)
[0,0,9,0]*[1,1,1,1] = [9] (corresponding to x^2)
[0,0,0,0]*[1,1,1,1] = [0] (corresponding to x^3)

That matrix still isn't what is in the book. But the matrix that is in the book would work fine as well, so how would I decide on which matrix to use?

Is there a more natural way to go about this? (I've already done this homework and turned it in for a grade, I am just using this problem to study for a test, so presenting methods to solve it will not be giving me an unfair advantage over other students grade wise).

-Ian

The problem here is you are not using a general third order polynomial. The vector corresponding to [itex]a+bx+cx^2+dx^3[/itex] is [a,b,c,d]. What is T(p(x))? D(T(p(x)))?

Related to Transformation Matrix for Derivative Operator Acting on Third Order Polynomials

What is a Transformation Matrix?

A Transformation Matrix is a mathematical tool used to describe the transformation of an object from one coordinate system to another. It is commonly used in computer graphics, robotics, and other scientific fields.

Why is the Transformation Matrix important?

The Transformation Matrix allows us to manipulate and transform objects in a virtual space. It is essential in computer graphics for creating 3D models and animations, and in robotics for controlling the movement of robotic arms and other mechanical systems.

How is a Transformation Matrix calculated?

A Transformation Matrix is calculated by multiplying a series of matrices together, each representing a specific transformation such as translation, rotation, or scaling. The resulting matrix is then applied to the coordinates of the object to transform it.

What are the common issues with Transformation Matrices?

One common issue with Transformation Matrices is the order in which the matrices are multiplied. Changing the order can result in different transformations and can lead to errors in the final result. Another issue is singularity, where the matrix becomes non-invertible and cannot be used for transformation.

How can the Transformation Matrix issue be resolved?

To avoid issues with Transformation Matrices, it is important to carefully consider the order of transformations and to check for singularity before using the matrix. Additionally, using alternative methods such as quaternions or Euler angles can also help resolve some issues with Transformation Matrices.