True/False Igneous Rock Formation Question

In summary, it is possible for huge volumes of igneous rock to be erupted and/or intrude in the middle of tectonic plates. This can be seen through examples such as flood basalts, Hawaii, Siberian Traps, Deccan Traps, Columbia River Basalts, and the flows around Craters of the Moon in Idaho. While it may seem like an odd question, there are several million cubic kilometers of igneous rock formed over millions of years in these cases, compared to a much smaller volume formed at mid-ocean ridges.
RJLiberator
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Huge volumes of igneous rock can be erupted and/or intrude in the middle of tectonic plates?
True or False

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am being thrown off by this rather simple problem.
I understand that at the border of tectonic plates, a lot is happening and I would expect there to be huge volumes of igneous rock formed through volcano activity. However, in the middle of tectonic plates?
I did a google search and found that there are some earthquakes that occur in the middle of tectonic plates, so I am leaning towards answering 'true.'

Anyone have any insight here?

Physics news on Phys.org
Google "flood basalts," Hawaii, Siberian Traps, Deccan Traps.

Likes RJLiberator
Bystander said:
Google "flood basalts," Hawaii, Siberian Traps, Deccan Traps.
Columbia River Basalts and the flows around Craters of the Moon in Idaho are a couple of examples on this (N. America) continent.

Likes RJLiberator
So, the answer they were looking for was: True.

I got this correct due to luck, but it seems like an odd question.

Volumes relative to...?
Etc.

Nonetheless, thank you guys for the comments.

RJLiberator said:
Volumes relative to...?
Siberian traps are several million cubic kilometers over span of several million years. Compare that to the mid-ocean ridge, ~ 10 cm per year times 3 km crustal thickness times 40,000 km length is 12 cubic kilometers per year.

Likes RJLiberator

FAQ: True/False Igneous Rock Formation Question

1. What is the process of igneous rock formation?

Igneous rock formation is a process where molten rock, also known as magma, cools and solidifies. This can happen either above or below the Earth's surface.

2. How long does it take for igneous rocks to form?

The time it takes for igneous rocks to form can vary depending on the type of rock and the conditions in which it forms. Some igneous rocks can form within a few days, while others may take millions of years.

3. What are the different types of igneous rocks?

There are two main types of igneous rocks: intrusive and extrusive. Intrusive igneous rocks form when magma cools slowly beneath the Earth's surface, resulting in large crystals. Extrusive igneous rocks form when lava cools quickly on the Earth's surface, resulting in smaller crystals or a glass-like texture.

4. How can we determine the age of an igneous rock?

We can determine the age of an igneous rock through radiometric dating, which measures the decay of radioactive elements within the rock. This method can accurately determine the age of igneous rocks that formed millions or even billions of years ago.

5. Can igneous rocks change into other types of rocks?

Yes, igneous rocks can undergo weathering and erosion, and be broken down into sediment. With enough pressure and heat, this sediment can be compacted and cemented to form sedimentary rocks. Additionally, igneous rocks can also undergo metamorphism, where they are altered due to high pressure and temperature, resulting in the formation of metamorphic rocks.