Unbelievable Rainbow Phenomenon: 4 Cycles of Color!

In summary, a rainbow is the result of light being reflected inside a raindrop multiple times. The phenomenon repeats itself four times, but is too faint to be seen after the fourth order.
Chi Meson
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Last evening there was the perfect rainbow condition: A bright evening sun shining into a rainstorm just overhead. I went outside to see both complete arcs from horizon to horizon . THen...

the inner rainbow (the most commonly seen rainbow, with red on the outside of the bow) looked odd: instead of blue on the inside, it was definitely magenta. Then I noticed that the entire cycle of colors repeated a total of four times. Each cycle overlapped the red on top of the previous blue (hence the magenta). Each cycle got fainter and tighter together so that I assumed that it continued ad infinitum but was too faint to be seen after the fourth order. I have never seen nor heard of this rainbow phenomena before. My only guess is that this is due to sunlight internally reflecting inside the raindrop for one, two, or three laps inside the drop before refracting out.

Has anyone heard of, or seen, or have an explanation of this?

Physics news on Phys.org
the rain bow originates from a process called chromatic dispersion, ie the different frequencies that make up the incident sun light (EM-wave) each are reflected under a different angle. The fact that such patterns repeat themselves is due to the interference of the reflected waves. This is just like the thin film interference on an oil-spot on the ground. Some times there will be reagons where it is dark. Light is reflected but there is destructive interference of the eflected waves. This is dependent of several facteros, the thickness of the oil-film being one of them

marlon

go check out hyperphysics http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/hframe.html

chose light and vision and then atmosferic phenomena

Last edited:
Chi Meson said:
Last evening there was the perfect rainbow condition: A bright evening sun shining into a rainstorm just overhead. I went outside to see both complete arcs from horizon to horizon . THen...

the inner rainbow (the most commonly seen rainbow, with red on the outside of the bow) looked odd: instead of blue on the inside, it was definitely magenta. Then I noticed that the entire cycle of colors repeated a total of four times. Each cycle overlapped the red on top of the previous blue (hence the magenta). Each cycle got fainter and tighter together so that I assumed that it continued ad infinitum but was too faint to be seen after the fourth order. I have never seen nor heard of this rainbow phenomena before. My only guess is that this is due to sunlight internally reflecting inside the raindrop for one, two, or three laps inside the drop before refracting out.

Has anyone heard of, or seen, or have an explanation of this?
Hey, we got that here, too - Sunday night. I'll post my pics later...

Great site, thanks. So, the name of these things are "supernumerary arcs." After a google search I found this explanation
http://www.sundog.clara.co.uk/rainbows/supform.htm
which is, like Marlon said, more similar to thin film interference. All sites I looked at said simple geometric/refraction explanations fail.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Unbelievable Rainbow Phenomenon: 4 Cycles of Color!

1. What causes the "Unbelievable Rainbow Phenomenon"?

The "Unbelievable Rainbow Phenomenon" is caused by the interaction of sunlight with water droplets in the atmosphere. When sunlight passes through the water droplets, it is refracted and dispersed into its component colors, resulting in the appearance of a rainbow.

2. How many colors are there in a rainbow?

There are seven distinct colors in a rainbow: red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo, and violet. These colors are often remembered using the acronym ROYGBIV.

3. What are the four cycles of color in the "Unbelievable Rainbow Phenomenon"?

The four cycles of color in the "Unbelievable Rainbow Phenomenon" refer to the four distinct stages that a rainbow goes through as it forms. These include the formation of a primary rainbow, a secondary rainbow, a supernumerary rainbow, and a tertiary rainbow.

4. Can a rainbow skip a color or have extra colors?

Yes, it is possible for a rainbow to appear to skip a color or have extra colors, but this is rare. The colors of a rainbow are determined by the size of the water droplets and the angle at which sunlight passes through them. If the conditions are just right, a rainbow may appear to have a different number of colors.

5. Why do rainbows sometimes appear in a circular shape?

Rainbows can appear in a circular shape when viewed from above, such as from an airplane or a tall building. This is because the observer is able to see the full 360 degrees of the rainbow's arc. However, from the ground, we typically only see a portion of the rainbow due to our limited field of vision.