Understanding Negative Lateral Magnification in Optics

In summary: Some things I am still unclear about are:1) How does the sign of m relate to the orientation of the image (virtual or real)?2) Can the power of a lens or mirror be negative?In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of lateral magnification and its relationship to focal distance and power in converging devices. It is clarified that the sign of m (lateral magnification) depends on the signs of di (image distance) and do (object distance), and that the power of a lens or mirror is a constant property. The effects of changing the focal distance and object distance on the power and orientation of the image are also discussed. There is also a question about the possibility of a negative power for a lens or
Gear2d

Homework Statement

If lateral magnification is negative what does that mean?

Homework Equations

m = -di/do

The Attempt at a Solution

From what I understand that focal distance for converging devices (concave mirrors and convex lens) is always positive. So this would make m="-" since di= "+". Also that a negative lateral magnification would mean less power. My question are:

1) Is the above correct?

2) If the object was within the focal point the image would be virtual and upright, what would happen to power then?

3) If I increase the focal distance would that mean I would decrease the power of the lens or mirror based on this formula: P=1/f?

4) Based on this formula: P=1/f = 1/di + 1/do, the farther the object is from the lens or mirror the greater power is?

Physics news on Phys.org
Gear2d said:

Homework Statement

If lateral magnification is negative what does that mean?

Homework Equations

m = -di/do

The Attempt at a Solution

From what I understand that focal distance for converging devices (concave mirrors and convex lens) is always positive. So this would make m="-" since di= "+".

For a single lens or mirror: When [itex]d_i[/itex] is positive, then [itex]m[/itex] would be negative; but [itex]d_i[/itex] can be negative, in which case [itex]m[/itex] would turn out to be a positive number.

If you have a system of lenses or mirrors, then [itex]d_o[/itex] can also be negative.

Also that a negative lateral magnification would mean less power.

The power of a lens is a property of that lens; it's the inverse of the focal length (having units of diopters when focal length is in meters). So the power of a particular lens is a constant.

My question are:

1) Is the above correct?

2) If the object was within the focal point the image would be virtual and upright, what would happen to power then?

Just to repeat, the power would be the same.

However, go ahead and try out this case. Set [itex]f=10[/itex] and [itex]d_o[/itex] be anything less than 10, for example. Solve for [itex]d_i[/itex], and then [itex]m[/itex]. What is the sign of [itex]m[/itex]?

Do the same for [itex]f=10[/itex] and do be anything greater than 10, and find the sign of [itex]m[/itex].

So what does the sign of [itex]m[/itex] mean?

3) If I increase the focal distance would that mean I would decrease the power of the lens or mirror based on this formula: P=1/f?

Okay, but to change the focal length you have to change the radius of curvature of the sides of the lenses; so effectively you have a different lens altogether.

4) Based on this formula: P=1/f = 1/di + 1/do, the farther the object is from the lens or mirror the greater power is?

Do you now see why this is not true?

Likes gracy
Thanks alphysicist. I see what you are saying.

FAQ: Understanding Negative Lateral Magnification in Optics

What is lateral magnification?

Lateral magnification is a measure of how much an image is magnified or reduced in size compared to the original object. It is usually expressed as a ratio of the image size to the object size.

How is lateral magnification calculated?

The formula for lateral magnification is M = hi/ho, where M is the magnification, hi is the image height, and ho is the object height. The result is typically a positive number for an upright image and a negative number for an inverted image.

What factors affect lateral magnification?

The main factors that affect lateral magnification are the distance between the object and the lens, the focal length of the lens, and the refractive index of the material the lens is made of. The shape and curvature of the lens can also have an impact on lateral magnification.

How does lateral magnification differ from angular magnification?

Lateral magnification is a measure of the size of the image compared to the size of the object, while angular magnification is a measure of the angle of the image compared to the angle of the object. Lateral magnification is used to describe images produced by lenses, while angular magnification is used for images produced by mirrors.

What is the significance of lateral magnification in optics?

Lateral magnification is an important concept in optics as it helps determine the size and position of images formed by lenses. It is also used in various optical instruments, such as microscopes and telescopes, to produce magnified images of objects. Understanding lateral magnification is crucial in designing and optimizing these instruments for various applications.

Back