Understanding Nodes and Frequencies in a Uniform String Under Tension

In summary, a uniform string of length 2.5 m and mass 0.01 kg under a tension of 10 N has a frequency of 62.8319 radians/second in its fundamental mode. When the string is plucked and a node is created at a point 0.5 m from one end, the remaining frequencies can be found using the equation ω = √(T/μ)* nπ/L, where μ = M/L. This results in a divided string with a length of 2 m and either a n=1 or n=5. The concept of a node refers to a point of no motion in a standing wave, and in this case, there are nodes at both ends of
tourjete

Homework Statement

A uniform string of length 2.5 m and mass 0.01 kg is placed under a tension of 10 N.

1. What is the frequency of the fundamental mode?

2. If the string is plucked and is then touched at a point 0.5 m from one end, creating a node, what frequencies persist?

Homework Equations

[tex]\omega[/tex] = [tex]\sqrt{T/\mu}[/tex]* n[tex]\pi[/tex]/L where [tex]\mu[/tex] = M/L

The Attempt at a Solution

I got the first part, I just plugged all the given information into the equation and used n=1 since it asked for the fundamental mode. I got 62.8319 radians/second.

I'm a bit lost as to what the concept of a node is. Do I just use the same equation again, but use L = 2.5 - .5 = 2 m? Or do I use n=5 since the string is now divided into fifths?

Physics news on Phys.org
Supposed the string is fixed at both ends, its length is equal to a half-wave in the fundamental mode. There is no motion at a node. Draw the standing wave when there is a node at 0.5 m from one end. Where are the other nodes?

ehild

FAQ: Understanding Nodes and Frequencies in a Uniform String Under Tension

1. What is the fundamental mode of a wave?

The fundamental mode of a wave is the lowest frequency and simplest form of oscillation that a wave can have. It is also known as the first harmonic.

2. How is the fundamental mode related to nodes?

The fundamental mode is characterized by having one node, which is a point on a standing wave where there is no displacement from the equilibrium position. The fundamental mode is the only mode that has one node.

3. What is a node in a standing wave?

A node is a point on a standing wave where there is no displacement from the equilibrium position. This means that the amplitude of the wave is zero at a node.

4. Can a wave have more than one fundamental mode?

No, a wave can only have one fundamental mode. However, it can have higher frequency modes called harmonics or overtones.

5. How does the number of nodes and antinodes change as the frequency of a wave increases?

As the frequency of a wave increases, the number of nodes and antinodes also increases. This is because the wavelength of the wave becomes shorter, and more nodes and antinodes can fit within the length of the wave.