Understanding the Cofunction Identities in Trigonometry

• Thread starter bobsmith76
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the identity 1 - (sin^2)x = (cos^2)x and its validity, as well as where to find more information about it. The conversation also mentions using a right triangle and labeling its sides to understand the identity better. The subject of basic trigonometry is suggested for finding more information about trig identities.
bobsmith76

Homework Statement

My book is showing 1 - (sin^2)x = (cos^2)x, is this true? If so under what subject do I find more information about this. I found cofunction identities where sin(90° - θ) = cosθ but I'm not sure if that's the same thing.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
bobsmith76 said:

Homework Statement

My book is showing 1 - (sin^2)x = (cos^2)x, is this true? If so under what subject do I find more information about this. I found cofunction identities where sin(90° - θ) = cosθ but I'm not sure if that's the same thing.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Just rearrange [itex]\sin^2 x + \cos^2 x = 1[/itex], which you recently asked about in another thread.

bobsmith76 said:
My book is showing 1 - (sin^2)x = (cos^2)x, is this true?
Yes, draw a right triangle and label one of the angles x. Now label each side a, b and c. Ok so what is sin(x) in terms of a,b,c? So what is sin2(x)? Continue this for cos2(x) and you'll see the result holds.

bobsmith76 said:
If so under what subject do I find more information about this.
Basic trigonometry? After being taught about graphing trig functions I believe you're exposed to more trig identities.

thanks, i feel stupid, but at least i know the answer

bobsmith76 said:
thanks, i feel stupid, but at least i know the answer

Nah being stupid would be not knowing the answer in the exam :wink:

FAQ: Understanding the Cofunction Identities in Trigonometry

Is it true that 1 - sin²x equals cos²x?

Yes, the identity 1 - sin²x = cos²x is true. This is known as the Pythagorean trigonometric identity, which relates the sine and cosine of the same angle.

What is the basis of the identity 1 - sin²x = cos²x?

This identity is derived from the Pythagorean theorem applied to the unit circle. In the unit circle, for any angle \( x \), the sine represents the y-coordinate, and the cosine represents the x-coordinate. According to the Pythagorean theorem, \( \sin^2x + \cos^2x = 1 \), and rearranging this gives \( 1 - \sin^2x = \cos^2x \).

How can this identity be used in trigonometry?

This identity is useful in solving trigonometric equations, simplifying expressions, and proving other trigonometric identities. It's a fundamental identity in trigonometry.

Can this identity be applied to all values of x?

Yes, the identity 1 - sin²x = cos²x holds true for all real values of \( x \). It is universally applicable in trigonometry, regardless of the angle's size or quadrant.

Are there similar identities for other trigonometric functions?

Yes, similar identities exist for other trigonometric functions. For example, the identities relating to the tangent and secant functions, such as \( 1 + \tan^2x = \sec^2x \), are based on similar principles.

How does this identity relate to the cosine of the complementary angle?

The identity also illustrates the complementary relationship between sine and cosine: \( \sin x = \cos(90^\circ - x) \). This is because \( \sin^2x + \cos^2(90^\circ - x) = 1 \) simplifies to the same identity.

Is understanding this identity important for calculus involving trigonometric functions?

Yes, understanding this identity is important in calculus, especially when integrating or differentiating trigonometric functions. It aids in simplifying expressions before applying calculus techniques.