Unraveling the Structure of XeF6: VSEPR and Valence Bond Theories

• Thread starter mooncrater
  • Start date
In summary, the question is about the structure of XeF6 and whether it is octahedral or a pyramid with a pentagonal base. The molecule has sp3d3 hybridization and based on this, the latter structure is correct since the first one does not account for the lone pair on Xe. There is some discussion about IF6 and IF7, with IF7 having an unusual pentagonal bipyramidal structure due to the absence of a lone pair. The correct structure for XeF6 is a pentagonal bipyramid, and the VSEPR theory can be used to show the AX6E geometry. The valence bond theory can also be applied to show how the ground state electron configuration of X
mooncrater

Homework Statement

I am confused about the structure of ##XeF_6##.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Is it octahedral or a pyramid with a pentagonal base? ##Xe## has ##sp^3d^3## hybridization. Then I think the latter one is correct. Since the first one has nonarrangement for the lone pair over ##Xe##.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
mooncrater said:

Homework Statement

I am confused about the structure of ##IF_6##.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Is it octahedral or a pyramid with a pentagonal base? ##I ## has ##sp^3d^3## hybridization. Then I think the latter one is correct. Since the first one has nonarrangement for the lone pair over ##I ##.
I think there is no thing as IF6.
It should be [IF6]+ as that is the stable specie.
So it has then a octahedral structure.

Raghav Gupta said:
I think there is no thing as IF6.
It should be [IF6]+ as that is the stable specie.
So it has then a octahedral structure.
Sorry I meant to say ##XeF_6##... did that in hurry.

mooncrater said:
Sorry I meant to say ##XeF_6##... did that in hurry.
Hey how you edited the title?
Did you reported it to staff?
XeF6 does not have perfect octahedral or the other structure you have showed in attempt.

Raghav Gupta said:
Hey how you edited the title?
Did you reported it to staff?
XeF6 does not have perfect octahedral or the other structure you have showed in attempt.
I used the thread tools.
It has ##sp^3d^3## hybridization for sure. But it's structure is still not clear to me.

But when we search about ##sp^3d^3## in images section of Google then we can see the structure of ##IF_7## which has ##sp^3d^3## structure. Why it has a different structure?

mooncrater said:
But when we search about ##sp^3d^3## in images section of Google then we can see the structure of ##IF_7## which has ##sp^3d^3## structure. Why it has a different structure?
They are saying that it has an unusual pentagonal bi pyramidal structure .
And remember one has lone pair and IF7 does not have that. So some differences will be there.

Likes mooncrater
Ok then... I assume my doubt cleared.
Thank you. (##R\longrightarrow R ## help)

Likes Raghav Gupta
Raghav Gupta said:
They are saying that it has an unusual pentagonal bi pyramidal structure .
And remember one has lone pair and IF7 does not have that. So some differences will be there.
Good call RG... The Pentagonal Bipyramid is correct. Now, can you apply the VSEPR theory and show => AX6E geometry for :XeF6? and then the Valence Bond theory to show how the ground state electron configuration of Xe hybridizes at the valence level to give seven (7) sp3d3 hybrid orbitals? I'll bet you already know how to do it. Go for it!

Related to Unraveling the Structure of XeF6: VSEPR and Valence Bond Theories

What is XeF6 and what is its chemical formula?

XeF6 is a chemical compound known as xenon hexafluoride. Its chemical formula is written as XeF6, indicating that it is made up of one xenon atom and six fluorine atoms.

What is the structure of XeF6?

The structure of XeF6 is octahedral, meaning that the xenon atom is surrounded by six fluorine atoms, arranged in a symmetrical shape. This arrangement allows for the molecule to be highly stable.

What are the properties of XeF6?

XeF6 is a colorless and odorless gas at room temperature. It is highly reactive and can act as both an oxidizing and fluorinating agent. It is also classified as a strong Lewis acid, meaning it can accept electrons from other molecules.

What are the uses of XeF6?

XeF6 is primarily used as a fluorinating agent in the production of other chemicals. It is also used in the semiconductor industry for etching and cleaning processes. Additionally, it has been used in nuclear fuel processing and as a propellant in rocket engines.

Is XeF6 dangerous?

XeF6 is a highly toxic and corrosive substance. It can cause severe burns to the skin and eyes upon contact. Inhaling its vapors can also cause respiratory irritation. Proper safety precautions, such as wearing protective gear and handling in a well-ventilated area, should be taken when working with XeF6.

Back