Use fourier series to find sum of infinite series

In summary: The missing 1/2 on the LHS of what, exactly?In summary, the homework statement states that find the value of An and given that f(x) = 1 for 0 < x < L/2 find the sum of the infinite series.
unscientific

Homework Statement

wkbow.png

Find the value of An and given that f(x) = 1 for 0 < x < L/2, find the sum of the infinite series.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The basis is chosen to be ##c_n = \sqrt{\frac{2}{L}}cos (\frac{n\pi }{L}x)## for cosine, and ##s_n = \sqrt{\frac{2}{L}}sin (\frac{n\pi}{L}x)## for sine.

[tex]|f\rangle = \sum_0^{\infty} \langle c_n|f\rangle |c_n\rangle + \sum_1^{\infty}\langle s_n|f\rangle|s_n\rangle[/tex]

Compare this with:

[tex]f = \sum_0^{\infty}c_n' cos(\frac{n\pi }{L}x) + \sum_1^{\infty}A_n sin(\frac{n\pi}{L}x)[/tex]

We are given that f(x) = 1 for 0 < x < L/2.

Therefore,
[tex]A_n = \sqrt{\frac{2}{L}}\langle s_n|f\rangle = \frac{2}{L}\int_0^{L/2}f_{(x)} sin(\frac{2\pi n}{L}x) dx[/tex]
[tex]A_n = \frac{1}{n\pi}\left[1 - cos(n\pi)\right][/tex]
[tex]A_n = \frac{1}{n\pi}\left[1 - (-1)^n\right][/tex]

For odd n, ##A_n = \frac{2}{(2n-1)\pi}##

Either the first series or the third series works for ##A_n##:

For 0 < x < L/2, f(x) = 1:

[tex]1 = \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{2}{(2n-1)\pi}sin\left(\frac{2\pi n}{L}x\right)[/tex]

Choosing x = L/4:
[tex]1 = \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{2}{(2n-1)\pi}sin\left(\frac{n\pi}{2}\right)[/tex]
[tex]1 = \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{2}{(2n-1)\pi} (-1)^{n+1}[/tex]
[tex]\frac{\pi}{2} = \sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^{n+1}}{(2n-1)} = 1 - \frac{1}{3} + \frac{1}{5} - ...[/tex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The exercise asks for an expression for ##k_n##

From your ##s_n = \sqrt{\frac{2}{L}}sin (\frac{n\pi}{L}x)## I get the impression that n = 1 is also allowed. But then the period definitely isn't L !

Furthermore, for periodic functions the integral isn't from ##-\infty## to ##\infty## or from ##0## to ##\infty## but from ## 0 ## to ## L##

BvU said:
The exercise asks for an expression for ##k_n##

From your ##s_n = \sqrt{\frac{2}{L}}sin (\frac{n\pi}{L}x)## I get the impression that n = 1 is also allowed. But then the period definitely isn't L !

Furthermore, for periodic functions the integral isn't from ##-\infty## to ##\infty## or from ##0## to ##\infty## but from ## 0 ## to ## L##

Oops, the correct value for kn should be ##k_n = \frac{2\pi n}{L}##.

And I've updated my answers above. Now I'm missing a factor of 1/2 on the LHS.

Last edited:
Missing 1/2 on the LHS of what, exactly?
Remind me of the relevant eqn for ##A_n##...

BvU said:
Missing 1/2 on the LHS of what, exactly?
Remind me of the relevant eqn for ##A_n##...

[tex]f_{(x)} = \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{1}{(2n-1)\pi}sin\left(\frac{2\pi n}{L}x\right)[/tex]

If I choose x = L/4 or L/8, LHS should be = 1, given f(x) = 1 for 0< x < L/2. But the RHS is different.

Last edited:
So, if ##A_n = \frac{1}{n\pi}\left[1 - (-1)^n\right]##, then for odd n: ##A_n = \frac{1}{n\pi}\left[1 - (-1)^n\right]##.

Plugging this into the Fourier series:

[tex]1 = \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{2}{(2n-1)\pi}sin\left(\frac{n\pi}{2}\right)[/tex]

Still the LHS isn't ##\frac{\pi}{4}##..

What do you get when you do the following integration ##A_n=\frac{2}{L/2}\int_0^{L/2}sin(\frac{n\pi x}{L/2})dx##? You just made a silly mistake in your calculation. Show your calculations step by step.

I have no idea about the Fourier series but the problem doesn't state any restriction about using it to evaluate the given sum. I have two methods.

Method 1:
The given sum is:
$$\begin{aligned}
\\
\sum_{r=0}^{\infty} \frac{(-1)^r}{2r+1} & =\sum_{r=0}^{\infty} (-1)^r\int_0^1 x^{2r}\,dx\\
& =\int_0^1 \frac{dx}{1+x^2}\\ & =\left(\arctan(x)\right|_0^{1}\\ &=\frac{\pi}{4} \end{aligned} $$

Method 2:
Use the series of ##\ln(1+x)## at ##x=i## where ##i=\sqrt{-1}## i.e
$$\ln(1+i)=\ln(\sqrt{2}e^{i \pi/4})=i-\frac{1}{2}-\frac{i}{3}+\frac{1}{4}+\frac{i}{5}-\cdots$$
Compare the imaginary parts on both the sides to get the sum.

Last edited:
I am guessing the OP is taking a class in Fourier Analysis, which is why he's posting this problem. Yes, there are other methods, but I think he needs to understand what he is doing wrong in his calculation of the Fourier series.

xiavatar said:
What do you get when you do the following integration ##A_n=\frac{2}{L/2}\int_0^{L/2}sin(\frac{n\pi x}{L/2})dx##? You just made a silly mistake in your calculation. Show your calculations step by step.

Ok, I think I got it. Fe or a sine series, we extend the function to be f(x) = -1 for L/2 < x < L. So that the integrand is an odd*odd = even function.

Thus,

[tex]A_n = \frac{2}{L} \int_0^L f_{(x)} sin \left(\frac{2\pi n}{L}x\right) dx = 2\left( \frac{2}{L} \right) \int_0^{\frac{L}{2}} sin \left(\frac{2\pi n}{L}x\right) dx[/tex]

I have found my missing factor of 1/2!

Last edited:
Pranav-Arora said:
I have no idea about the Fourier series but the problem doesn't state any restriction about using it to evaluate the given sum. I have two methods.

Method 1:
The given sum is:
$$\begin{aligned}
\\
\sum_{r=0}^{\infty} \frac{(-1)^r}{2r+1} & =\sum_{r=0}^{\infty} (-1)^r\int_0^1 x^{2r}\,dx\\
& =\int_0^1 \frac{dx}{1+x^2}\\ & =\left(\arctan(x)\right|_0^{1}\\ &=\frac{\pi}{4} \end{aligned} $$

Method 2:
Use the series of ##\ln(1+x)## at ##x=i## where ##i=\sqrt{-1}## i.e
$$\ln(1+i)=\ln(\sqrt{2}e^{i \pi/4})=i-\frac{1}{2}-\frac{i}{3}+\frac{1}{4}+\frac{i}{5}-\cdots$$
Compare the imaginary parts on both the sides to get the sum.

Honestly, that is brilliant! I couldn't have thought of that.

FAQ: Use fourier series to find sum of infinite series

1. What is a Fourier series?

A Fourier series is a mathematical representation of a periodic function as an infinite sum of sine and cosine functions. It is commonly used in the field of mathematics and engineering to analyze and approximate periodic phenomena.

2. How do you use Fourier series to find the sum of an infinite series?

To find the sum of an infinite series using Fourier series, you first need to express the series as a periodic function. Then, you can use the formula for the Fourier series coefficients to calculate the coefficients for the series. Finally, you can sum up the coefficients to find the sum of the infinite series.

3. What is the formula for the Fourier series coefficients?

The formula for the Fourier series coefficients is given by cn = (1/T) ∫T f(x) e-i2πnx/T dx, where cn represents the coefficient, T is the period of the function, f(x) is the periodic function, and e is the base of the natural logarithm.

4. Can Fourier series be used to find the sum of any infinite series?

No, Fourier series can only be used to find the sum of periodic infinite series. If the series is not periodic, then other mathematical methods must be used to find the sum.

5. What are some practical applications of using Fourier series to find the sum of infinite series?

Fourier series has many practical applications, such as in signal processing, image compression, and solving partial differential equations. It is also used in various fields of engineering, including electronics, acoustics, and optics.