Using the transform of the electromagnetic tensor F between frames, verify that

B2. So when you write B perpendicular in matrix form you should have B1 and B2 in the matrix. So when you multiply the matrix with the perpendicular components you should have B1 and B2 in the resulting matrix. But you only have B3 and B2, which is B3 and... B2. And when you add them you get B2+B3, which is B perpendicular. But you are supposed to have B perpendicular and B3. So how can you get B perpendicular from B1 and B2.In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the electromagnetic tensor F between frames and verifies that the perpendicular component of the magnetic field in a moving frame can be found using
blueyellow

Homework Statement

Using the transform of the electromagnetic tensor F between frames,

F'=RFR[itex]^{T}[/itex]

verify that:

i) the perpendicular component of the magnetic field in the frame, S', moving with velocity v with respect to the frame S, can be found from the transform of B[itex]_{\bot}[/itex] in S by

B'[itex]_{\bot}[/itex]=[itex]\gamma B_{\bot}[/itex] - [itex]\frac{1}{c^2}[/itex][itex]\gamma[/itex]v [itex]\times[/itex]E

and that
ii) the parallel component of the E-field, E(parallel), remains unchanged.

Remember that the parallel and perpendicular components are with respect to the direction of the velocity v of the S' frame in S.

The attempt at the solution:

[itex]\begin{equation*}
\mbox{R}=\left[
\begin{array}{rrrr}
\gamma&0&0&i\beta\gamma\\
0&1&0&0\\
0&0&1&0\\
-i\beta\gamma&0&0&\gamma\\
\end{array}
\right]
\end{equation*}[/itex]

[itex]\begin{equation*}
\mbox{F}=\left[
\begin{array}{rrrr}
0&B_{3}&-B_{2}&\frac{-i}{c}E_{1}\\
-B_{3}&0&B_{1}&\frac{-i}{c}E_{2}\\
-B_{2}&-B_{1}&0&\frac{-i}{c}E_{3}\\
\frac{i}{c}E_{1}&\frac{i}{c}E_{2}&\frac{i}{c}E_{3}&0\\
\end{array}
\right]
\end{equation*}[/itex]

F'=
[itex]\begin{equation*}
\left[
\begin{array}{rrrr}
\gamma&0&0&i\beta\gamma\\
0&1&0&0\\
0&0&1&0\\
-i\beta\gamma&0&0&\gamma\\
\end{array}
\right]
\end{equation*}[/itex]
[itex]\begin{equation*}
\left[
\begin{array}{rrrr}
0&B_{3}&-B_{2}&\frac{-i}{c}E_{1}\\
-B_{3}&0&B_{1}&\frac{-i}{c}E_{2}\\
-B_{2}&-B_{1}&0&\frac{-i}{c}E_{3}\\
\frac{i}{c}E_{1}&\frac{i}{c}E_{2}&\frac{i}{c}E_{3}&0\\
\end{array}
\right]
\end{equation*}[/itex]
[itex]\begin{equation*}
\left[
\begin{array}{rrrr}
\gamma&0&0&-i\beta\gamma\\
0&1&0&0\\
0&0&1&0\\
i\beta\gamma&0&0&\gamma\\
\end{array}
\right]
\end{equation*}[/itex]

=

[itex]\begin{equation*}
\left[
\begin{array}{rrrr}
0&\beta_{3}\gamma - \frac{\beta\gamma E_{2}}{c}&-i\beta_{2}\gamma - \frac{\beta\gamma E_{3}}{c}&\frac{\beta^{2}\gamma^{2}E_{1}}{c} - \frac{\beta\gamma^{2}E_{a}}{c}\\
-\beta_{3}\gamma + \frac{\beta\gamma E_{2}}{c}&0&\beta_{1}&-i\beta\gamma\beta_{3} - \frac{i\gamma E_{2}}{c}\\
\beta_{2}\gamma + \frac{\beta\gamma E_{3}}{c}&\beta_{1}&0&-i\beta\gamma\beta_{2} - \frac{i\gamma E_{3}}{c}&\\
\frac{i E_{1}\gamma^{2}}{c} - \frac{i\beta^{2}\gamma E_{1}}{c}&-i\beta\beta_{3}\gamma + \frac{i\gamma E_{2}}{c}&-\beta\beta_{2}\gamma - \frac{i\gamma E_{3}}{c}&0\\
\end{array}
\right]
\end{equation*}[/itex]

But I do not see any perpendicular signs in the matrix above. And the minus and cross signs are not there either. So how is one supposed to go from that matrix to the equation:

B'[itex]_{\bot}[/itex]=[itex]\gamma B_{\bot}[/itex] - [itex]\frac{1}{c^2}[/itex][itex]\gamma[/itex]v [itex]\times[/itex]E

I have looked through textbooks and the internet, but nowhere, it seems, will tell me how to do this question or a similar question.

Please help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

Write out the components of the cross product ;)

Sorry for sounding stupid, but so what if v and E have perpendicular and parallel components? You still can't see 'parallel' and 'perpendicular' anywhere in the matrix. Maybe I would see it if I actually wrote out the components of the cross product, but I have to admit that I don't know how to do this. Cartesian coordinates are being used?

x y z

v[itex]_{x}[/itex] v[itex]_{y}[/itex] v[itex]_{z}[/itex]

E[itex]_{x}[/itex] E[itex]_{y}[/itex] E[itex]_{z}[/itex]

=(v[itex]_{y}[/itex]*E[itex]_{z}[/itex]-v[itex]_{z}[/itex]*[itex]E_{y}[/itex])+...

Please can you or someone else explaining how this is supposed to help. I can't even see those components anywhere in the matrix. So still, back to square one: how are those matrixes used to derive that equation?

The v's are not anywhere in the matrices anyway. Because stuff cancel out when you do the corss product? If so, how? But if things cancel out and v cross E is not there in the matrix anyway, then how can you justify putting it into the equation?

Are there any textbooks or websites that tell you how to do that sort of question? Or is this one of those things that one has to work out oneself?

Do I have to use the matrices S and S', whatever they are? Then why are F and F' mentioned in the question? How are S and S' related to F and F'?

So I found out somewhere that:

'The inverse transformation is obtained by interchanging the barred and the unbarred quantities and replacing β by -β. These are found to be:

E[itex]_{x}[/itex]=E[itex]_{x}[/itex]-bar
E[itex]_{y}[/itex]=[itex]\gamma[/itex](E[itex]_{y}[/itex]-bar + [itex]\beta[/itex]B[itex]_{z}[/itex])
E[itex]_{z}[/itex]=[itex]\gamma[/itex](E[itex]_{z}[/itex]-bar - [itex]\beta[/itex]B[itex]_{y}[/itex])

Note the components of E parallel to the relative velocity remain unchanged.'

How do the above equations show that the parallel components remain unchanged?
What are barred and unbarred quantities? Complex conjugates? Really? - why would they be used? Why is [itex]\beta[/itex] being replaced by -[itex]\beta[/itex]?

I made some mistakes previously while multiplying matrices. i got B's and betas mixed up, and some other mistake. I corrected them and I equated F and F' and got:

B1=B1

B2=B2γ+E3βγ/c

B3=B3γ-βγE2/c

B1=B1

B2=B2γ+E3γ/(c^2)

B3=B3γ-γE2/(c^2)

I noticed that this looks something like the equation that one is supposed to verify in i), except that I don't know how to take into account how it is perpendicular, and I don't understand by in B(subscript 2) there is a plus sign between the terms and in B(subscript 3) there is a minus sign between the terms. I also don't understand how the cross product sign came about or where the 'v' in the equation comes from when there are no 'v' terms in the matrices. Please help.

the v is embedded in beta and gamma. Do u know wt beta and gamma determine?
The 3 part of magnetic field can be separated into perpendicular and parallel components with respect to the velocity.
Suppose the direction of the the velocity is along the z-axis. This means that the parallel components are the z components. And the perpendicular ones are the x and y components. These can be represented with numbers.
For example B3 means the z component of vector B and B2 means the y component, B1 means the x component.
Hence B perpendicular is the combination of B1 and B2.

Related to Using the transform of the electromagnetic tensor F between frames, verify that

1. What is the electromagnetic tensor F?

The electromagnetic tensor F is a mathematical object that describes the electromagnetic field in terms of its electric and magnetic components. It contains 16 components that represent the electric and magnetic fields in a given frame of reference.

2. How is the electromagnetic tensor F related to frames of reference?

The electromagnetic tensor F is a relativistic quantity that relates the electric and magnetic fields in one frame of reference to those in another frame of reference. It allows for the transformation of these fields between frames, taking into account the effects of special relativity.

3. What does it mean to "use the transform of the electromagnetic tensor F between frames"?

Using the transform of the electromagnetic tensor F between frames means applying the mathematical equations and transformations that relate the electric and magnetic fields in one frame to those in another frame. This allows for the analysis of the electromagnetic field from different perspectives and frames of reference.

4. How can the electromagnetic tensor F be used to verify a statement?

The electromagnetic tensor F can be used to verify a statement by comparing the electric and magnetic fields in one frame of reference to those in another frame. If the transformation of the tensor F yields the same values for the fields in both frames, then the statement can be considered valid.

5. What are some practical applications of using the electromagnetic tensor F to verify statements?

The electromagnetic tensor F is commonly used in the field of electromagnetism to analyze and understand the behavior of electric and magnetic fields in different frames of reference. It is also used in the development of technologies such as antennas, electrical circuits, and electromagnetic sensors.

Back