Using TI-89 Plus or computer-based packages to get the moment of inertia

In summary, the conversation is about finding ways to calculate the moment of inertia for regular and symmetrical objects such as a cylinder, cone, and sphere using a TI-89 calculator or computer program. The suggestion is to integrate and obtain the formula for calculating moment of inertia and input it into the program. It is also suggested to use Google to find the formulas for moment of inertia.
vInCEE-j
can anyone suggest ways on how to calculate the moment of inertia using:
1) graphics calculator [TI-89 plus] and/or
2) any computer-based packages
for a cylinder, cone and sphere?
I believe that a program can be created in my graphics but i don't seem know how to create such a complicated one. if anyone can suggest steps, even if simple, please do so.
thanks

Last edited:
Computer science news on Phys.org
Since they are regular and symmetrical objects, you could just integrate and obtain the formula and put the formula in the computer program.
[tex] \int r^2 dm [/tex]

First, what does "you could just integreate and obtain the formula" mean? do i intergrate the volume of it or what?

second, is it possible to calculate the moment of inertia using Ti-89 or any computer program from scracth without me integrating it and putting the formula in the computer program? Is there a way where i can just simply type in (eg. r or h)?

vInCEE-j said:
First, what does "you could just integreate and obtain the formula" mean? do i intergrate the volume of it or what?
second, is it possible to calculate the moment of inertia using Ti-89 or any computer program from scracth without me integrating it and putting the formula in the computer program? Is there a way where i can just simply type in (eg. r or h)?

So basically you are asking "How do I get the formulas without knowing anything at all about moment of inertia"- and the answer is: use "google".

The formulas are given about halfway down this page:
http://scienceworld.wolfram.com/physics/MomentofInertia.html

FAQ: Using TI-89 Plus or computer-based packages to get the moment of inertia

1. How can I use a TI-89 Plus or computer-based package to calculate the moment of inertia?

To use a TI-89 Plus or computer-based package to calculate the moment of inertia, you will need to input the necessary variables, such as mass and distance from the axis of rotation, into the appropriate formula. These packages often have built-in functions for calculating moment of inertia, making the process easier and more accurate.

2. What is the benefit of using a TI-89 Plus or computer-based package for calculating moment of inertia?

The main benefit of using these packages is their ability to handle complex calculations quickly and accurately. They also often have built-in functions and formulas that can save time and reduce the chances of human error in manual calculations.

3. Can a TI-89 Plus or computer-based package calculate the moment of inertia for irregularly shaped objects?

Yes, these packages have the ability to handle complex shapes and calculate the moment of inertia for irregularly shaped objects. This is because they use mathematical algorithms to calculate the distribution of mass in an object and determine its moment of inertia.

4. Do I need any special skills to use a TI-89 Plus or computer-based package for calculating moment of inertia?

While some familiarity with using these packages may be helpful, most have user-friendly interfaces that make it easy for anyone to input variables and get accurate results. However, understanding the concept of moment of inertia and the variables involved is important for using these packages effectively.

5. Are there any limitations to using a TI-89 Plus or computer-based package for calculating moment of inertia?

One limitation is that these packages rely on the accuracy of the input variables. If there are errors in the data entered, the calculated moment of inertia may also be incorrect. Additionally, these packages may not be able to handle extremely complex shapes or objects with non-uniform mass distributions.