Vatican to Host Debate On Infinity

• Thread starter Leah
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Infinity
In summary, a 3-day conference on the concept of infinity will be held at the Vatican, with speakers from various fields such as physics, mathematics, philosophy, and theology. The conference will explore the role of infinity in modern mathematics, cosmology, ontology, and theology. It is part of the STOQ Project, aimed at promoting dialogue between science and religion. The Catholic Church has shown openness to scientific theories such as evolution and the Big Bang. No breakthroughs have been reported yet.
Leah
I heard about this debate and wanted to share with you what information I have gathered so far...maybe you'all can find more out about it. I'll try and keep you posted, and thought maybe this would be a great subject to keep posted on!? For now though, I just wanted to let you know about it:

http://ansa.it/main/notizie/awnplus/english/news/2005-11-04_1883147.html

Vatican to Host Debate On Infinity:

This 3-day event, which starts 11/9/05, will examine the concept of the infinite in four contexts: Physics, Mathematics, Philosophy and Theology. Scientists due to attend are Agrentinian Juan Maldacena, an internationally renowned figure in Quantum Gravity and String Theory...

Also, Pontifical Latern University will be hopefully providing transcripts of this event:

http://www.stoqnet.org/lat/laterano.html .

It has been a long time since distinguished scientists, philosophers and theologians had an occasion to discuss in an International Conference the theme of infinity and the role it plays in their respective disciplines.

Is infinity in modern mathematics simply a formal tool without any referential value?
In modern cosmological theories is the universe finite or infinite in space and/or time, or is this question ill-posed?
Is the traditional assertion of the infinity of the human mind a tenable ontological position to justify human individual freedom and rationality given modern cognitive sciences?
Are the infinity of human freedom and the infinity of God’s freedom mutually exclusive, as some 20 th Century philosophers claimed?
These are some of the questions speakers will be invited to address during the different Conference Sections on:

“Infinity in Physics and Cosmology”,
“Infinity in Mathematics and Logic”,
“Infinity in Ontology and Mind Philosophy”, and
“God's Infinity in the Different Theological Traditions ”.
Concluding each day of the Conference, Panel Sessions will give all the participants an opportunity to intervene in open debate on these topics.

The official language of the Conference is English, wit simultaneous translation into Italian.

The STOQ Project…
Is rooted ina collaboration of three Roman Pontifical Universities: Lateran, Gregorian and Regina Apostolorum, under the high patronage of the Pontifical Council for Culture, with the support of the John Templeton Foundation .
Is aimed at developing the dialogue and the confrontation between Science and Religion, to face many theoretical, ethical and cultural challenges posed by current developments in science to the Christian vision of world, the human person and society.
Is articulated over three years in different research programs at the three Universities. Students may follow courses of the STOQ Project at each of the three Universities.
Is directed towards students, scientists, philosophers, theologians and all those interested in deepening the rational bases of their faith, or grappling with the issues of being believers at the beginning of the Third Millennium.

Interesting! If any of you can find more info on this conference, let me know! Thanks, Leah o:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Why is this being held exactly? The questions posed are either impossible to confirm/disconfirm or they simply don't matter.

Last edited:
Infinity is bad!

i think it seems really neat. i just attended a physics lecture about intelligent design that was really interesting. the lecture wasn't about whether the universe was designed or just formed through evolution, but it was about the debate between the two opposing viewpoints. i think that this meeting at the vatican is the same idea. not so much about discussing infinity, but about religion and science and math and philosophy all getting together in general.

I think sitting through any conference given by the Vatican would feel like an eternity so You might be able to grasp infinity.

tribdog said:
I think sitting through any conference given by the Vatican would feel like an eternity so You might be able to grasp infinity.
Amen ! o:)

Leah said:
Vatican to Host Debate On Infinity
That's one giant leap, from Trinity to Infinity ! :eek:

Last edited:
ShawnD said:
Why is this being held exactly? The questions posed are either impossible to confirm/disconfirm or they simply don't matter.

Perhaps the archbishops are just curious. If I were one I would certainly want to start up a convention with lots of lecturing scientists.

I'd take it as a good thing that the Catholic church wants to reach out to the rest of the mainstream scientific community. It shows that they are more reasonable and not condemning all who believe that the Earth is the center of the universe. :rolleyes:

motai said:
It shows that they are more reasonable and not condemning all who believe that the Earth is the center of the universe. :rolleyes:

Are you trying to say I am not the center of the universe? :-p :-p

motai said:
Perhaps the archbishops are just curious. If I were one I would certainly want to start up a convention with lots of lecturing scientists.

I'd take it as a good thing that the Catholic church wants to reach out to the rest of the mainstream scientific community. It shows that they are more reasonable and not condemning all who believe that the Earth is the center of the universe. :rolleyes:

*sigh*

You do realize that the catholic church pretty much accepts evolution, and the big bang, right?

franznietzsche said:
*sigh*
You do realize that the catholic church pretty much accepts evolution, and the big bang, right?

shhh, if that gets out, the P&WA forum will be a dud.

So this is finished now, right? What happened? Any breakthroughs?

Turns out infinity is mathematically equal to 5.

it is not. that's not even half

How were you the funniest member of 2004? I am 5 times funnier then you which means it is imposslbe to be funnier then me.

Related to Vatican to Host Debate On Infinity

1. What is the purpose of the debate on infinity at the Vatican?

The purpose of the debate is to discuss the concept of infinity and its implications in various fields such as mathematics, philosophy, and theology. It aims to explore the different perspectives and understandings of infinity and how it relates to our understanding of the universe and existence.

2. Who will be participating in the debate?

The debate will include renowned scientists, mathematicians, philosophers, and theologians from various backgrounds and beliefs. Some of the confirmed participants include Stephen Hawking, Pope Francis, and Richard Dawkins.

3. Will the debate have any impact on religious beliefs?

The debate is not intended to challenge or change anyone's religious beliefs. It is meant to provide a platform for open and respectful discussion about the concept of infinity and its relationship to science and religion.

4. Is this the first time the Vatican is hosting a debate on scientific topics?

No, the Vatican has hosted several debates and conferences on scientific topics in the past, including discussions on evolution, cosmology, and the origin of the universe.

5. Will the debate be open to the public?

The debate will be open to a limited number of attendees, including scholars, students, and members of the media. However, it will also be live-streamed for anyone to watch online.

Back