Verify an expression is an implicit solution to a first order DE.

In summary, the given expression is an implicit solution of the first-order differential equation. An explicit solution y=∅(x) can be found by raising e to both sides of the equation and doing some algebraic manipulation, resulting in x=(e^t-1)/(e^t-2). This solution can be verified by substituting it into the original equation and checking if it equals 0.
oddjobmj

Homework Statement

Verify that the indicated expression is an implicit solution of the given first-order differential equation. Find at least one explicit solution y=∅(x) in each case.

Homework Equations

[itex]\frac{dX}{dt}[/itex]=(X-1)(1-2X); ln([itex]\frac{2X-1}{X-1}[/itex])=t

The Attempt at a Solution

I know I need to solve the 't=' portion for X and here it is:

ln([itex]\frac{2X-1}{X-1}[/itex])=t =>

[itex]\frac{e^t-1}{e^t-2}[/itex]=X

In -explicit- cases I would differentiate X to find X' and replace the original X' from the given differential equation to see if it works out to 0.

I don't know how to go about proving it in the implicit case and everything I'm finding when I google is how to do implicit differentiation from a calc 2-3 perspective.

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't see how you go from:

ln ( (2X-1)/(X-1))=t to (et-1)/(et -2) =X

I would think of raising e to both sides.

I don't see how you go from:

ln ( (2X-1)/(X-1))=t to (et-1)/(et -2) =X I would think of raising e to both sides.

Exactly. When you do that the ln goes away and you end up with e^t on the other side. We do some algebra and end up with the above result. I have verified this with wolframalpha.

Edit: Here are the steps for the curious-

Exponentiate both sides to get: (2X-1)/(X-1)=e^t
Multiply both sides by the denominator (x-1) to get: 2x-1=xe^t-e^t
Get the components with x's in them together: xe^t-2x=e^t-1
Factor out the x: x(e^t-2)=e^t-1
Divide both sides by (e^t-2) to get x by itself: x=(e^t-1)/(e^t-2)

Edit 2:
The back of the book says that x=(e^t-1)/(e^t-2) is a solution. I have to figure out why that's the case.

Last edited:

FAQ: Verify an expression is an implicit solution to a first order DE.

1. What is an implicit solution to a first order DE?

An implicit solution to a first order differential equation (DE) is a solution that cannot be explicitly written in terms of the independent variable. Instead, it is represented by an equation involving both the dependent variable and its derivative.

2. How do you verify if an expression is an implicit solution to a first order DE?

To verify if an expression is an implicit solution to a first order DE, you can substitute the expression into the original DE and check if the equation holds true for all values of the independent variable. If it does, then the expression is an implicit solution to the DE.

3. What are some methods for finding implicit solutions to first order DEs?

Some methods for finding implicit solutions to first order DEs include separation of variables, substitution, and integrating factors. These methods involve manipulating the original DE to get it into a form where the solution can be found implicitly.

4. Can an implicit solution be converted into an explicit solution?

Yes, an implicit solution can be converted into an explicit solution by isolating the dependent variable on one side of the equation. This can be done by using algebraic techniques to solve for the dependent variable or by using a known relationship between the dependent variable and its derivative.

5. Why are implicit solutions important in differential equations?

Implicit solutions are important in differential equations because they can often provide a more general solution to a DE compared to explicit solutions. They can also be useful in situations where explicit solutions are not possible or are difficult to obtain. Additionally, implicit solutions can reveal important relationships between variables in the DE that may not be apparent in an explicit solution.

Back