Want to learn about quantum physics - where to start?

In summary, The conversation discusses the topic of quantum physics and the speaker's interest in learning more about it. They mention their background in computer science and their realization that TV shows may not be the best source of information. The speaker also shares a list of recommended math topics for studying quantum mechanics, emphasizing the importance of understanding vector spaces, matrices, and eigenvalues. They advise against taking ambiguous or math-jargon-filled statements at face value and instead recommend learning how to translate them.
caibbor
I'm new to the forums, so first of all, hello!

I am a life-long computer scientist and most of my scientific knowledge revolves around that. I have recently found myself attracted to the fascinating world of quantum physics. I'm currently watching whatever documentaries I can about it, but that obviously doesn't really cover much of the real mathematics and chalk-board proofs behind it. That is, if quantum physics actually involves mathematics since it's about randomness and unpredictability and... so you see, I'm a total newb to this stuff.

I know hardly anything about quantom physics or physics in general and would like to change that. What books, websites, articles, etc., would you recommend?

Physics news on Phys.org
The only really good recommendation I can give you is DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT take TV shows seriously. They are very entertaining and often have really nifty pictures and graphics, but they are entertainment not science.

I made a list of math topics for QM here.

Some people said my list is overly ambitious, and those people might be right. It was originally meant for a mathematics major who wanted to do graduate work in quantum information theory. I do think this is essential advice for anyone learning QM, though:

The biggest problem with quantum mechanics is that almost every statement is either 0) ambiguous or 1) full of math jargon. So it's very important to know how to translate the math jargon.

In particular, I think every sensible statement I've ever read in QM was written in the language of vector spaces, matrices, and eigenvalues.

FAQ: Want to learn about quantum physics - where to start?

1. What is quantum physics?

Quantum physics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of particles at the subatomic level. It explains how particles such as atoms and photons behave and interact with each other.

2. Why is quantum physics important?

Quantum physics is important because it helps us understand the fundamental workings of the universe at a microscopic level. It has also led to the development of technologies such as transistors, lasers, and MRI machines.

3. Can anyone learn about quantum physics?

Yes, anyone with an interest in physics and a basic understanding of mathematics can learn about quantum physics. It is a complex subject, but with dedication and effort, it can be understood by anyone.

4. Where can I start learning about quantum physics?

A good place to start is by reading introductory books on quantum physics, such as "Quantum Physics for Beginners" by Jim Al-Khalili or "Introducing Quantum Theory" by J.P. McEvoy and Oscar Zarate. You can also find online courses and lectures on websites like Coursera or edX.

5. What are some key concepts to understand in quantum physics?

Some key concepts in quantum physics include wave-particle duality, the uncertainty principle, superposition, entanglement, and quantum tunneling. It is also important to understand the mathematical framework of quantum mechanics, including operators, eigenvalues, and wave functions.