What Do C and M Represent in the Grain Diameter Formula?

In summary, the conversation discusses a homework problem where the task is to find the average grain diameter using the equation d=C/NLM. However, the student is unsure of what the variables C and M represent and is seeking clarification. The student also shares that the average number of intercepted grains (NL) is 2.8 grains per inch and asks for any clues on what C and M could stand for. The conversation concludes with a suggestion to search for more information about the equation online.
Peachhow

Homework Statement

Find the Average Grain Diameter

Homework Equations

d= C/NLM

The Attempt at a Solution

My instructor hasn't defined what C or M are. I could easily solve this equation if I just knew which numbers I am supposed to substitute in for C and M. NL is the average number of intercepted grains determined by a 3, 3.5in line strategy. The number I have for it is 2.8grains/in.

Any clues on to what C and M could stand for?

Physics news on Phys.org
Attached is the handout given to me that gives an example of what I am supposed to do on my assignment. Relevant information is on pages 9,10,11.

Attachments

• ASSIGNMENT 2 EXAMPLE.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 1,197
Peachhow said:

Homework Statement

Find the Average Grain Diameter

Homework Equations

d= C/NLM

The Attempt at a Solution

My instructor hasn't defined what C or M are. I could easily solve this equation if I just knew which numbers I am supposed to substitute in for C and M. NL is the average number of intercepted grains determined by a 3, 3.5in line strategy. The number I have for it is 2.8grains/in.

Any clues on to what C and M could stand for?

Hmm. That's weird that they don't seem to define C or M. Even in the paper you posted, they just seem to throw them into that equation without any description that I can see.

I tried to see if Google could help, and it may be of help (but I didn't have time to go through all the hits yet). I Googled d=C/NM +grain, and got some good hits. Maybe have a look through some of the hits to see if they use that equation at all:

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4GGLL_enUS301US302&q=d=+C/NM++grain

Related to What Do C and M Represent in the Grain Diameter Formula?

1. What is the average diameter of a grain?

The average diameter of a grain can vary depending on the type of grain. However, on average, the diameter of a grain is between 0.1mm to 2mm.

2. How is the average diameter of a grain measured?

The average diameter of a grain is typically measured using a microscope or other specialized equipment. The grain is placed on a slide and then magnified to accurately measure its diameter.

3. What factors can affect the average diameter of a grain?

The average diameter of a grain can be affected by various factors, including the type of grain, growing conditions, and processing methods. Different grains may also have different average diameters due to their genetic makeup.

4. Why is the average diameter of a grain important?

The average diameter of a grain can impact its quality and use. For example, grains with a larger average diameter may be better for milling into flour, while grains with a smaller average diameter may be better for brewing beer.

5. Can the average diameter of a grain change over time?

Yes, the average diameter of a grain can change over time as it grows and matures. Additionally, the average diameter of a grain can be affected by environmental conditions such as temperature and moisture levels.

Back