What do you make of this mechanism?

• Thread starter chem_tr
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mechanism
In summary, the conversation discusses the validity of a drawn mechanism for Michael-type addition reactions. It is noted that the steric hindrance of the carbocation in the vinyl group may prevent it from participating in the mechanism, and the possibility of side reactions such as transesterification is also mentioned. The expert suggests drawing the enolate anions as delocalized onto oxygen and protonating on the oxygen to form an enol, which can then tautomerize to the final product. It is acknowledged that transesterification may occur depending on the reaction conditions.
chem_tr
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hello, I think the one I drew and included in the attachment is valid for Michael-type addition reactions. Do you make a favor to check the mechanism?

I think, the steric hindrance of the more-stable carbocation in vinyl group can not participate in this type of mechanism, it is further suppressed by the persuaded electron flow coming from the neighboring terminal methylene, with the effect of attacking highly electronegative species. An intramolecular charge rearrangement gives a double methylene moiety from vinylmethylene.

Also noted is the possible side reactions; can there be an ester exchange here instead of Michael addition? I think additions are more favored than substitutions, as it seems to require more energy. If I am wrong, I would like to know what you're thinking about this.

Thank you for your interest.

Attachments

• michael_katilmasi.zip
    8.6 KB · Views: 259
Last edited:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
The mechanism looks okay to me, although I would draw out the enolate anions as delocalized onto oxygen, then protonate on the oxygen to make an enol, then tautomerize to the final product.

Transesterification is certainly a possibility as well. I suppose it depends on the precise reaction conditions.

Hello, thank you for sharing your thoughts on this mechanism. From what I understand, you have drawn a mechanism for Michael-type addition reactions and have considered the steric hindrance of the more stable carbocation in the vinyl group. It seems that the neighboring terminal methylene plays a crucial role in directing the electron flow and promoting the attack of highly electronegative species. This results in an intramolecular charge rearrangement and formation of a double methylene moiety from vinylmethylene.

In terms of possible side reactions, it is certainly possible for ester exchange to occur instead of Michael addition. It would depend on the specific reactants and reaction conditions. As for the energy requirement, I agree that additions generally require less energy compared to substitutions. However, the overall energy balance would also depend on the stability of the products formed.

Overall, your proposed mechanism seems valid and well thought out. Thank you for sharing your ideas and I will be happy to check the mechanism further.

Related to What do you make of this mechanism?

1. What is the purpose of this mechanism?

The purpose of this mechanism is to perform a specific task or function, often by converting one form of energy into another. It may also be designed to control or regulate a system or process.

2. How does this mechanism work?

This mechanism works by utilizing a series of interconnected parts or components to transfer and transform energy in a specific way. The exact functioning may vary depending on the specific mechanism and its intended purpose.

3. What are the main components of this mechanism?

The main components of a mechanism can include gears, levers, pulleys, springs, belts, and other similar parts. These components work together to create a desired movement or energy transfer.

4. How is this mechanism different from others that perform a similar task?

The differences between mechanisms performing similar tasks may lie in their design, materials used, efficiency, precision, or other factors. Each mechanism is unique and may have advantages or disadvantages compared to others.

5. Can this mechanism be improved upon?

As with any technology, there is always room for improvement. Scientists and engineers are constantly researching and developing new and improved mechanisms to enhance efficiency, accuracy, and other factors. However, each mechanism must also be carefully evaluated to ensure safety and effectiveness before implementing any changes.

Back