What Is the Difference Between Proper and Improper Subsets? Examples Included!

• Thread starter KIX369
  • Start date
In summary: Mr. Compuchip ...In summary, a proper subset is a non-empty subset that is smaller than the whole set, while an improper subset is a subset that is equal to the whole set or the empty set. Some texts use the term "proper subset" to include the empty set, while others do not. In another context, proper divisors are considered the divisors of a number that are not equal to the number itself.
KIX369
I need some help here ...

I won't to know what the difference between the proper and improper subset ... with examples ...

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

If you check the definition of a subset of some set X, you will find that also the empty set {} and X itself satisfy it.

However, our intuition often says that a subset should really be "smaller" than X, for example, {1, 2, 3} should not be a subset of {1, 2, 3}, but {1, 2} should.

This is what we try to capture in "proper subset". Mathematically, it is a non-empty subset not equal to the whole set.

So {1, 2, 3} and {1, 2} are both subsets of {1, 2, 3}, but only {1, 2} is a proper subset

thank you Mr. Compuchip ...

but what about improper subset ...

I never used that word.
But apparently S is an improper subset of X if and only if S = X.
(Personally, I would then also include the case of S being empty here).

thank you again Mr . Compuchip ... thank you so much ...

Some texts (I think the majority) use the phrase "proper subset of A" to mean any subset of A other than A itself. Other texts use the phrase to mean any subset of A other than A itself or the empty set.

In another context, the set of divisors of an integer are called the aliquot parts, where the divisors are said to be "proper", i.e., the set does not include the number itself.

Thus, the aliquot parts of 12 are {1,2,3,4,6}. 12 is not included as it is not a "proper" divisor.

Last edited:

thank you again so much

FAQ: What Is the Difference Between Proper and Improper Subsets? Examples Included!

1. What kind of help do you need?

I am not sure exactly what kind of help I need, but I am struggling with a problem or task and could use some assistance or guidance.

2. Can you provide more information about the issue?

Yes, I can provide more information about the problem or task that I am having difficulty with. This will help others understand the situation and provide more targeted help.

3. Have you tried solving the problem yourself?

Yes, I have tried solving the problem on my own but have not been successful. That is why I am reaching out for help.

4. Is this a time-sensitive issue?

It depends on the situation. Some problems may need to be addressed immediately, while others may have a more flexible timeline for finding a solution.

5. Are you looking for a specific type of help or solution?

Yes, I may be looking for a specific type of help or solution, such as technical expertise, research assistance, or troubleshooting advice. It would be helpful if you could clarify what type of help you can provide.