What is the lim as n goes to infinity of (ln(n+2))/(ln(2n))

• Thread starter Randall
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Infinity
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the limit as n goes to infinity of the quotient (ln(n+2))/(ln(2n)). One person suggests using L'Hospital's Rule while another suggests using the property ln(ab)=ln(a)+ln(b) to simplify the problem. Ultimately, the group agrees on using L'Hospital's Rule and the final answer is found to be 2. However, one person does not seem to fully understand the solution and there is further discussion about using Vela's hint.
Randall

Homework Statement

what is the lim as n goes to infinity of (ln(n+2))/(ln(2n)) ?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

It looks like you would get "small" infinity over "large" infinity, so does that make it 1? undefined? 0? thanks. Is there some simplifying I should be doing? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Randall said:

Homework Statement

what is the lim as n goes to infinity of (ln(n+2))/(ln(2n)) ?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

It looks like you would get "small" infinity over "large" infinity, so does that make it 1? undefined? 0? thanks. Is there some simplifying I should be doing? Thanks.

Are you familiar with L'Hospital's Rule? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L'Hôpital's_rule

Last edited:
Randall said:
##\frac \infty\infty## is an indeterminate form. To figure out if the limit exists and what it's equal to, you have to do some sort of manipulation. A common way to deal with an indeterminate form is to use, as Berkeman suggested, L'Hopital's rule. For this problem, you could also use the property ##\ln ab = \ln a + \ln b## to rewrite the quotient as
$$\frac{\ln (n+2)}{\ln 2n} = \frac{\ln [n(1+\frac 2n)]}{\ln 2n} = \frac{\ln n + \ln (1+\frac 2n)}{\ln n + \ln 2},$$ which you should be able to find the limit of now. Regardless of the method, you should get the same answer.

Likes berkeman
Thank you all - I use L'Hospital's rule and found the limit to be 2.

And what do you find using Vela's hint? :-)

I'm not sure I understood Vela's hint. That seems to have it more complex :(

I'm kinda guessing you didn't make much of an effort at understanding what I did, or if you did, there's some basic algebra you need to brush up on.

Anyway, can you show us your work? You didn't get the right answer.

Likes berkeman

FAQ: What is the lim as n goes to infinity of (ln(n+2))/(ln(2n))

1. What is the definition of a limit?

The limit of a function is the value that the function approaches as its input approaches a certain value, often denoted as x or n, usually approaching infinity or a specific number.

2. How do you find the limit of a function?

To find the limit of a function, you can evaluate the function at values close to the specified value and see what value the function approaches. You can also use algebraic manipulation, L'Hopital's rule, or the squeeze theorem to find the limit.

3. What does "n goes to infinity" mean in this equation?

In this equation, "n goes to infinity" means that the value of n is getting larger and larger without bound. It is approaching infinity as a limit.

4. What is the significance of the natural logarithm in this equation?

The natural logarithm is used in this equation because it is a common base for both the numerator and denominator. This allows for simplification and easier evaluation of the limit.

5. How do you interpret the result of the limit in this equation?

The result of the limit in this equation represents the value that the given function approaches as n gets larger and larger. In this case, the result is 1, indicating that the function is approaching a horizontal asymptote at y=1.