What Is the Pulse Delay Time for a 20-Foot Coax Cable?

In summary, the question asks for the pulse delay time of electrical pulses traveling at half the speed of light through a 20-foot coax cable. The formula for speed, distance, and time is mentioned and the question is clarified to only require the use of speed and distance to find the time. It is also noted that electric signals travel about 2/3 of the speed of light along standard BNC coax cables, but the given speed should be used for the problem.
maherelharake

Homework Statement

Electrical pulses travel at about half of light speed through coax cables. Determine the pulse delay time for a cable with a length of 20 feet.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't think this question is very hard, but I can't find any relevant information in my notes, and our book is just a lab manual. Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
How are speed, distance traveled, and time related? (Don't think too hard about this.)

Well speed=distance/time. I could use the speed and distance to find the time. Is that all "pulse delay time" refers to?

Yes, that is all there is to it. :smile:

BTW, I have found that electric signals travel about 2/3 c along standard BNC coax cables. But of course, you should use the speed given in the problem statement.

Wow. Ok, thanks a lot.

Related to What Is the Pulse Delay Time for a 20-Foot Coax Cable?

What is pulse delay time?

Pulse delay time is the amount of time it takes for a pulse of energy to travel from one point to another.

How is pulse delay time calculated?

Pulse delay time is calculated by dividing the distance the pulse travels by the speed of the pulse. This speed is typically measured in meters per second.

What factors can affect pulse delay time?

The main factors that can affect pulse delay time are the distance the pulse travels, the medium through which the pulse travels, and any obstacles or barriers in the path of the pulse.

What units are used to measure pulse delay time?

Pulse delay time is typically measured in seconds, but can also be measured in milliseconds or microseconds for more precise calculations.

How is pulse delay time used in scientific research?

Pulse delay time is used in various fields of science, including physics, engineering, and medicine. It is often used to calculate the speed of sound or light, and can also be used to measure the distance between objects or to diagnose medical conditions such as heart problems.