What is the solution to this simple sum problem?

• Thread starter mathal
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sum
In summary: They are about more than just the answer. The cover and the article inside are full of clues that lead to the answer. If you want to solve it, you'll have to put in some effort. But if you're up for it, the answer is in the spoiler.
mathal
(1/1-1/6) + (1/2-1/7) + (1/3-1/8)...+(1/95-1/100)
This was on the cover of a local paper with the caption "You can't solve this but he can!" The 'he' in the caption was a 12 year old boy. On the next page they gave as his solution 2.2. Two things are clear,
1.-the boy had the right answer and
2.-the editor cut the answer to one decimal point for brevity.
I was wondering, while I drove home from where I saw the cover and second page, what is the actual point one should stop adding the bracketed values to get closest to the abbreviated answer in the paper of 2.2. It took me about a minute to solve it in my head while driving.
No pen, paper and DEFINITELY no calculator required. Be as brief as possible in your explanation of the simplest solution.
mathal

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
My initial thoughts:

My first observation is that the answer will be 1/1 + 1/2 + 1/3 + 1/4 + 1/5 - 1/96 - 1/97 - 1/98 - 1/99 - 1/100 as all the other values cancel out.

Using the first 5 terms rounded to 1 or 2 decimals you would get 1 + 0.5 + 0.33 + 0.25 + 0.2 = 2.28.

If you want to make it more precise you could subtract 5 * 1/100 = 0.05 to get 2.23.

I checked this using a calculator and it is actually correct to the given precision.

But I'll be happy to hear a smarter approach.

CompuChip said:
My initial thoughts:

My first observation is that the answer will be 1/1 + 1/2 + 1/3 + 1/4 + 1/5 - 1/96 - 1/97 - 1/98 - 1/99 - 1/100 as all the other values cancel out.

Using the first 5 terms rounded to 1 or 2 decimals you would get 1 + 0.5 + 0.33 + 0.25 + 0.2 = 2.28.

If you want to make it more precise you could subtract 5 * 1/100 = 0.05 to get 2.23.

I checked this using a calculator and it is actually correct to the given precision.

But I'll be happy to hear a smarter approach
Your answer is to the original puzzle that the kid solved...-no problem... I saw that without a calculator and also knew it was only an approximation to the real value which is necessarily a repeating decimal fraction. The puzzle I am presenting is to determine the point in this series of additions that will result in the closest approximation to 2.2 in this series.The 2.2, I assume is the editor's truncation of an already truncated solution he/she called for to save space. The puzzle is dog simple, as I pointed out in the intro header. This is more of an AHA experience than anything else. Try again without a calculator.

mathal

This is a reply to the last post. Ignore it if you want to solve this without any help.

mathal

Last edited:
This post contains the answer inside the spoiler.
For a DOH! moment read it. I'd stick with the AHA moment, but to each his/her own.
1+1/2+1/3+1/4+1/5 -2.2 is the sum of the last 5 negative terms needed.
2+17/60 -(2 +12/60) =5/60
The last term to add to get closest to the abreviated answer of 2.2 is (1/57-1/62)

mathal

I'm going to leave this last message for clarification. CompuChip submitted a message in which he explained the math series in the newspaper that inspired this puzzle. His open comments indicate he felt he was submitting an answer to the puzzle. He was mistaken. The answer is in my last post. If you really need help in understanding what is involved in the math series in the newspaper article read his explanation. It is correct. The puzzle was explained in the opening post after mentioning where the idea came from.
mathal

Good puzzles are a gestalt.

Last edited:

FAQ: What is the solution to this simple sum problem?

What is a simple sum problem?

A simple sum problem is a mathematical question that involves adding two or more numbers together to get a total or sum.

How do I solve a simple sum problem?

To solve a simple sum problem, you can use basic addition skills. Start by writing out the numbers in the problem, lining them up so that the ones digits are in the same column. Then, add the ones digits together and carry over any tens digits to the next column. Repeat this process until all the digits have been added, and then write the total as your answer.

Can a simple sum problem have more than two numbers?

Yes, a simple sum problem can involve any number of numbers. You can add two, three, four, or even more numbers together to get a total. The process of solving the problem remains the same.

What happens if I make a mistake while solving a simple sum problem?

If you make a mistake while solving a simple sum problem, you can always use a calculator to double check your answer. It's also a good idea to go back and retrace your steps to see where the mistake was made.

Why are simple sum problems important to learn?

Simple sum problems are important to learn because they are the foundation of more complex math problems. Understanding addition and how to solve simple sum problems is essential for learning other mathematical concepts such as multiplication, division, and algebra.