What is the speed of the spring gun after the ball comes to rest

In summary, a ball of mass m is projected with speed vi into a barrel of a spring gun of mass M initially at rest on a frictionless surface. The ball sticks in the barrel at the point of maximum compression of the spring and no energy is lost in friction. The speed of the spring gun after the ball comes to rest in the barrel is mvi/(M+m) and the fraction of the initial kinetic energy of the ball lost through work done on the spring is M/(m+M). This is calculated by using the relationship m1v1 = vf(m+M) and understanding the question as wanting the fraction lost, (Kf-Ki)/Ki.
Destrio
1. A ball of mass m is projected with speed vi into a barrell of a spring gun of mass M initially at rest on a frictionless surface. The ball sticks in the barrel at the point of maximum compression of the spring. no energy is lost in friction. a) What is the speed of the spring gun after the ball comes to rest in the barrel? b) What fraction of the initial kinetic energy of the ball is lost thorough work done on the spring?

m1v1 = vf(m+M)
Vf = mvi/(M+m)
that's correct

Kfi = (1/2)mvi^2
Kf = (1/2)(m+M)[mvi/(M+m)]^2 = (1/2)m^2vi^2/(m+M)

Kf/Ki = m/(m+M)
the answer says M/(m+M)

is this a mistake, or have I missed something, I don't know how I can get M as a numerator

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
You have to read the questions like a lawyer: They want the fraction that is lost, which is (Kf-Ki)/Ki.

ahhh, i see

thanks very much!

thats the last of my questions

you've been a great help!

Related to What is the speed of the spring gun after the ball comes to rest

1. What is a spring gun?

A spring gun is a mechanical device that uses the potential energy stored in a compressed spring to launch a projectile, such as a ball or pellet.

2. How does a spring gun work?

When the spring gun is loaded, the spring is compressed and stores potential energy. When the trigger is pulled, the spring is released, and the stored energy is transferred to the projectile, propelling it forward.

3. What factors affect the speed of the spring gun after the ball comes to rest?

The speed of the spring gun after the ball comes to rest is affected by several factors, including the initial compression of the spring, the mass of the projectile, and the efficiency of the spring gun's mechanism.

4. How can the speed of the spring gun be calculated?

The speed of the spring gun can be calculated using the formula: v = √(2k/m), where v is the speed, k is the spring constant, and m is the mass of the projectile.

5. Can the speed of the spring gun be increased?

Yes, the speed of the spring gun can be increased by increasing the initial compression of the spring, reducing the mass of the projectile, or improving the efficiency of the spring gun's mechanism.

Back