What is the sum of this series?

• Thread starter utkarshakash
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Series Sum
In summary, telescoping series shows that you can write a series for a function that repeats itself if you include terms with the same value of the variable but different letters.
utkarshakash
Gold Member

Homework Statement

If [itex]f(r) = r^3-5r^2+6r [/itex] then [itex]\sum_{r=4}^{\infty } \dfrac{1}{f(r)} [/itex] is

The Attempt at a Solution

I could decompose the above summation into something like this

[itex]\dfrac{1}{3} \left( \sum \dfrac{1}{(r-2)(r-3)} - \sum \dfrac{1}{r(r-2)} \right)[/itex]

But from here I'm not sure how to take it ahead. I tried putting some values of r to check if they cancel out but to my dismay, they do not.

:(

Physics news on Phys.org
utkarshakash said:

Homework Statement

If [itex]f(r) = r^3-5r^2+6r [/itex] then [itex]\sum_{r=4}^{\infty } \dfrac{1}{f(r)} [/itex] is

[itex]\dfrac{1}{3} \left( \sum \dfrac{1}{(r-2)(r-3)} - \sum \dfrac{1}{r(r-2)} \right)[/itex]

But from here I'm not sure how to take it ahead. I tried putting some values of r to check if they cancel out but to my dismay, they do not.

You have noticed the quadratic factorises easily. And it is in a denominator. You have never had to deal with, had any other exercises with a factorised polynomial in a denominator?

utkarshakash said:

Homework Statement

Have you studied telescoping series? Use partial fractions to write$$
\frac1 {(r-2)(r-3)}= \frac {-1}{r-2}+ \frac 1 {r-3}$$Write out several terms starting with ##r=4## and you will see why it is called telescoping. (Don't simplify by adding the fractions, just leave the fractions as they are and look for cancellations). Similarly with the second summation.

Last edited:
"Partial fraction" tells you that you can write
[tex]\frac{1}{r^3- 5r^2+ 6r}= \frac{A}{r}+ \frac{B}{r- 2}+ \frac{C}{r- 3}[/tex]
for constants, A, B, and C. And that gives a "telescoping series".

HallsofIvy said:
"Partial fraction" tells you that you can write
[tex]\frac{1}{r^3- 5r^2+ 6r}= \frac{A}{r}+ \frac{B}{r- 2}+ \frac{C}{r- 3}[/tex]
for constants, A, B, and C. And that gives a "telescoping series".

But that isn't a good idea in my opinion, it would be best to follow LCKurtz advice. :)

FAQ: What is the sum of this series?

What is a series?

A series is a sequence of numbers, terms, or other elements that are connected by a specific pattern or rule. In mathematics, a series can be defined as the sum of the terms in a sequence.

What is the sum of a series?

The sum of a series is the result of adding all the terms in the series together. It is also known as the total or the final value of the series.

How do you find the sum of a series?

To find the sum of a series, you can use a formula or a method called "summing" or "summation". This involves adding the terms of the series together, starting from the first term and ending at the last term.

What is the purpose of finding the sum of a series?

The purpose of finding the sum of a series is to determine the total value of a sequence of numbers or terms. This can be useful in solving mathematical problems, analyzing data, or understanding patterns in a given sequence.

What are some common series used in mathematics?

Some common series used in mathematics include arithmetic series, geometric series, and harmonic series. These series have specific patterns or rules that make it easier to find their sum and use them in various calculations.