What Is the Velocity of the Piston in a Slider-Crank Mechanism?

I suggest substituting your numerical value for ω and expressing it in radians/second.In summary, the problem involves determining the velocity of the piston P and the angular velocity of the link HP in a slider crank mechanism with given dimensions and rotation rate. The steps to solve the problem involve finding the length of the base of the diagram "PG", calculating the velocity at H using the formula v=w X gh, and using the formula ((HG.w)/PH) X ((cos(60)/(sqrt(1-(HG²/PH²)sin²(60))) to find the angular velocity.
bobmarly12345

Homework Statement

The instantaneous configuration of a slider crank mechanism has a crank GH 10cm long, the connecting rod HP is 50cm. The crank makes an angle of 60 degree with the inner dead centre position and is rotating at 110 rev/min. Determine the velocity of the piston P and the angular velocity of the link HP.

what i need is the steps how to do it up until the answer(i don't need the answer calculated just need to see how you would do it), I've changed all the values so it won't give me the answer to my own question. really been struggling with this because I've read 101 ways to do it and they all are over complicated and produc different results. need urgent help

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

right what I've done so far is found the length of the base of the diagram "PG" using x=0.1cos(60)+sqrt(0.5²-0.1²sin(60)² which comes out to around 0.542m
and found the velocity at H by using v=w X gh which comes out to 1.047Rad/s
Also would wHP the angular velocity part of the question would the formula for that be ((HG.w)/PH) X ((cos(60)/(sqrt(1-(HG²/PH²)sin²(60)))

Attachments

• fds - Copy2.png
    fds - Copy2.png
    17.5 KB · Views: 573
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
hi bobmarly12345! :smile:

if rP and rH are two points in a rigid body with angular velocity ω, then …

vP - vH = ω × (rP - rH)

so (in two dimensions) ω = |vP - vH| / PH :wink:

bobmarly12345 said:

Homework Statement

The instantaneous configuration of a slider crank mechanism has a crank GH 10cm long, the connecting rod HP is 50cm. The crank makes an angle of 60 degree with the inner dead centre position and is rotating at 110 rev/min. Determine the velocity of the piston P and the angular velocity of the link HP.

what i need is the steps how to do it up until the answer(i don't need the answer calculated just need to see how you would do it), I've changed all the values so it won't give me the answer to my own question. really been struggling with this because I've read 101 ways to do it and they all are over complicated and produce different results. need urgent help

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

right what I've done so far is found the length of the base of the diagram "PG" using x=0.1cos(60)+sqrt(0.5²-0.1²sin(60)² which comes out to around 0.542m
and found the velocity at H by using v=w X gh which comes out to 1.047Rad/s
Also would wHP the angular velocity part of the question would the formula for that be ((HG.w)/PH) X ((cos(60)/(sqrt(1-(HG²/PH²)sin²(60)))
attachment.php?attachmentid=46249&d=1334492605.png

I suggest calling the measure of [itex]\angle GPH[/itex] something like θ, and call the measure of [itex]\angle GPH[/itex] ϕ .

You can express the altitude of △[itex]GPH[/itex] as an expression in θ, and as an expression in ϕ . Equate these expressions, then take the derivative w.r.t. time, t.

[itex]\displaystyle \omega=\frac{d\phi}{dt}=\text{ 110 rev/min .}[/itex]

Related to What Is the Velocity of the Piston in a Slider-Crank Mechanism?

1. What is the velocity of a piston?

The velocity of a piston is a measure of how fast it moves in a certain direction. It is typically measured in meters per second.

2. How is the velocity of a piston calculated?

The velocity of a piston can be calculated by dividing the distance it travels by the time it takes to travel that distance. This is represented by the equation v = d/t, where v is velocity, d is distance, and t is time.

3. What factors can affect the velocity of a piston?

The velocity of a piston can be affected by a variety of factors, including the force applied to the piston, the weight of the piston, the friction of the piston against the cylinder, and the pressure of the gas inside the cylinder.

4. Why is the velocity of a piston important?

The velocity of a piston is important because it determines the power output of an engine. A higher velocity means a greater amount of work can be done in a shorter amount of time, resulting in a more efficient engine.

5. How can the velocity of a piston be increased?

The velocity of a piston can be increased by increasing the force applied to it, reducing its weight, minimizing friction, and increasing the pressure of the gas inside the cylinder. Proper tuning and maintenance of the engine can also help to improve the velocity of the piston.

Back