What Push Off Speed is Necessary for Divers to Safely Land 5m from a Cliff?

• Thread starter cire792
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Horizontal
In summary, the problem involves divers jumping off a cliff and needing to land safely on the water. The given information includes the height of the cliff (35m above sea level), the distance they need to aim for (5m from the base of the cliff), and the acceleration due to gravity (-9.8m/s/s). The question is asking for the necessary push off speed (initial velocity). The solution involves finding the time it takes for the divers to hit the water by using the equation Sy = vi(t) + 1/2 (a)(t)^2, and then using that time to find the horizontal speed using the equation v = s/t. The final answer is a horizontal initial velocity of 13.
cire792
[SOLVED] Horizontal ProjectileMotion

Homework Statement

Divers jump off a cliff, at a height of 35m above sealevel. To land safely, they aim for 5m from the base of the cliff. What push off speed is neccesary?

Sy= -35m
Sx= 5
ay= -9.8m/s/s
Vi = ?

Homework Equations

Not sure how to proceed, if Vfy = 0 at the end of the motion,
then vf^2 = vi^2 + 2a(s)

The Attempt at a Solution

Adds up to vi = 0, unless I really screwed up my math.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Are you assuming that their initial velocity is purely horizontal?

Surely the final velocity (on hitting the water) is not zero!

Hint: How long does it take the diver to hit the water?

Yes, does that then change initial velocity to 0?
Well that can't be right, at the point they jump off its 0,
so then I can just figure out the time with
Sy = vi(t) + 1/2 (a)(t)^2
Which equals 0.84s.
I don't understand how I'd continue with that.

cire792 said:
Yes, does that then change initial velocity to 0?
Well that can't be right, at the point they jump off its 0,
Treat the horizontal and vertical components of motion separately. The vertical component of the initial velocity is zero. Use that to find the time of fall.
so then I can just figure out the time with
OK.
Which equals 0.84s.
Show how you got that result.
I don't understand how I'd continue with that.
Once you correctly figure out the travel time, you can use it to figure out the horizontal speed.

-35 = 0(t) + (-4.9) (t)^2
t = 0.84s

And because x is uniform,
v=s/t
v=5/0.84
v=5.95m/s

So, that would be the X-component.
But since it's horizontal at the start,
Vi = 5.95m/s [E]
So problem solved.
Thanks a lot!

cire792 said:
-35 = 0(t) + (-4.9) (t)^2
t = 0.84s
Redo this calculation.

Ahh!
t = 2.6
Well that makes more sense.
Don't know how I messed that up before. ~_~
oh, vi = 13.46

Related to What Push Off Speed is Necessary for Divers to Safely Land 5m from a Cliff?

What is horizontal projectile motion?

Horizontal projectile motion is a type of motion in which an object is launched or thrown horizontally with a constant velocity, while being affected by the force of gravity in a vertical direction.

What is the equation for horizontal projectile motion?

The equation for horizontal projectile motion is x = x0 + v0x * t, where x is the horizontal distance traveled, x0 is the initial horizontal position, v0x is the initial horizontal velocity, and t is the time elapsed.

How does air resistance affect horizontal projectile motion?

Air resistance can affect horizontal projectile motion by slowing down the projectile's horizontal velocity, leading to a shorter horizontal distance traveled. However, for most short-range horizontal projectile motions, the effects of air resistance are negligible.

What is the difference between horizontal and vertical projectile motion?

The main difference between horizontal and vertical projectile motion is that in horizontal projectile motion, the object's velocity remains constant in the horizontal direction, while in vertical projectile motion, the object's velocity changes due to the force of gravity.

What are some examples of horizontal projectile motion?

Some examples of horizontal projectile motion include a ball rolling off a table, a plane dropping supplies, and a skateboarder performing a jump. Any object that is launched or thrown horizontally and moves in a curved path due to the force of gravity is an example of horizontal projectile motion.

Back