What the heck is the point of this?

• Thread starter Daniel Y.
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Point
In summary, the article discusses a potential discovery in which the nucleus of an atom can be pushed out, leaving the electrons to orbit in their normal paths. This may be useful for stabilizing atoms with a non-zero average charge, but its practical applications are not yet clear. However, similar discoveries in the past have eventually led to significant scientific breakthroughs.
Daniel Y.
I was reading the following article on Physorg:

http://physorg.com/news125146806.html

It basically says that one may be able to push the nucleus out of the atom out and leave the electrons orbiting in their normal paths for a tad bit of time, and then repel each other 'after the electrons figure out their nucleus is gone' in a manner of speaking.

I don't know if I missed it in the article, but - why? Who the freak cares if you can do that? Supposing this *is* possible, why would this be useful? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Daniel Y. said:

It basically says that one may be able to push the nucleus out of the atom out and leave the electrons orbiting in their normal paths for a tad bit of time, and then repel each other 'after the electrons figure out their nucleus is gone' in a manner of speaking.

I don't know if I missed it in the article, but - why? Who the freak cares if you can do that? Supposing this *is* possible, why would this be useful? Thanks.
Don't know, but it's very interesting; maybe you could stabilize such an "atom" giving periodically a positive charge to the center of it, so you could, in theory, have a stable cloud of electron(s) without much average positive charge in it, this means that you would be able to stabilize a "complex" with total average non-zero charge. Just a speculation.

Not everything scientists research has an immediate practical benefit. It may be decades before the practical benefits of such research can be realized.

When the laser was first developed it had no practical uses at all. No one could have possibly envisaged the wide range of applications lasers are used for today.

Claude.

Daniel Y. said:

Why? Because we can.

These sorts of things sometimes turn out to be quite useful a couple of decades down the track. A 19th century physicist would probably react the same if you told them about the particle accelerator.

Daniel Y. said:

At the most, it will be a breakthrough concerning learning more about the fundamental laws of physics. At the very least it will be an experiment that will either support or refute hypotheses. Either way, it's helpful since we want a good hypothesis to be supported and a bad one to be refuted, and this will do either.

FAQ: What the heck is the point of this?

1. What is the purpose of this experiment?

The purpose of this experiment is to test a hypothesis or answer a research question. Scientists conduct experiments to gain a better understanding of a specific phenomenon or to gather data for further analysis.

2. Why is this research important?

This research is important because it can lead to new discoveries and advancements in a particular field. It can also provide evidence to support or refute existing theories and contribute to the overall body of scientific knowledge.

3. How will this experiment be conducted?

This experiment will be conducted using a specific methodology, which includes the steps and procedures necessary to collect data and analyze results. The methodology is carefully designed to ensure the validity and reliability of the experiment.

4. What do you hope to achieve with this experiment?

The goal of this experiment is to gain a deeper understanding of a particular phenomenon or to answer a specific research question. The results of this experiment can also potentially have practical applications and implications for real-world problems.

5. How will the results of this experiment be interpreted?

The results of this experiment will be interpreted by analyzing the data collected and comparing it to the initial hypothesis or research question. Depending on the results, further experiments or studies may be conducted to confirm or expand on the findings.