What's the best way to start learning physics?

In summary: Different countries have different educational systems. I don't know what "first year of upper secondary" means in terms of typical age or the level of math studied. I suspect few other people here know, because I don't remember ever seeing that term before.
Natalinatul
Consider a person who has never studied physics, never is the right word, what do you think is the best way to start? Or, how to start?

Physics news on Phys.org
In high school?
Learn Algebra and Trigonometry. Enroll in the Physics course offered at the high school.

Community College?
Learn Algebra 2 and at least the basics of Trigonometry. Enroll in Introductory or elementary Physics.
Had at least one semester of Calculus at the college level? Try the first real Physics course intended for the science & engineering students.

Likes Natalinatul
Natalinatul said:
Consider a person who has never studied physics, never is the right word, what do you think is the best way to start? Or, how to start?

What's your math knowledge? That will determine where to start.

I'm not sure what happens in high school Physics. Take the more advanced approach if you are qualified. Why? Anything less than Physics 1 - Mechanics, as intended for the science and engineering students, will be missing too much and you get less powerful instruction and less powerful learning. The Physics 1 course will force you to learn about vectors, force you to think analytically, and this course and beyond it require at least Intermediate Algebra, significant Trigonometry, and as you progress, increasingly more use of Calculus.

Likes Natalinatul and CalcNerd
Of course, math is very important, but what's as important is to also do experiments!

Likes Natalinatul
vanhees71 said:
Of course, math is very important, but what's as important is to also do experiments!

I think this is a very good point. Without the experiments and demonstrations, the most important concepts are just words ("force," "acceleration," and so on). I think people who try to learn physics only by reading books really miss out (especially at the beginning). Many of the threads here on PF are started by people so confused, because they have no real feeling for the meaning of the words they use.

Likes Natalinatul and symbolipoint
micromass said:
What's your math knowledge? That will determine where to start.
My math knowledge? I just finished first year of upper secondary school, my math is pretty basic

Natalinatul said:
My math knowledge? I just finished first year of upper secondary school, my math is pretty basic

That doesn't tell me much. Please be detailed in what math you know and don't know.

Likes Student100
Natalinatul said:

In all of your posts in this thread so far, you never once mentioned anything on the REASON why you want to study physics, and what is your eventual goal. Are you interested in it as a hobby, so that you can understand the basic idea? Or do you expect to have the same level of physics education as an undergraduate major? Or do you want to gain a Ph.D level knowledge?

Each one of those carry different paths and different level of commitments and difficulties. Without your elaboration on your goals, there is no way anyone can give you any kind of accurate response, or at least, I certainly can't.

Zz.

Natalinatul said:
ZapperZ said:
In all of your posts in this thread so far, you never once mentioned anything on the REASON why you want to study physics, and what is your eventual goal. Are you interested in it as a hobby, so that you can understand the basic idea? Or do you expect to have the same level of physics education as an undergraduate major? Or do you want to gain a Ph.D level knowledge?

Each one of those carry different paths and different level of commitments and difficulties. Without your elaboration on your goals, there is no way anyone can give you any kind of accurate response, or at least, I certainly can't.

Zz.
I'm guessing, Algebra 1 at best. Natalinatul would seem to be ninth-grader. Three more years of college preparatory Mathematics in high school are still needed. Then, keep going with more Mathematics.

gmax137 said:
I think people who try to learn physics only by reading books really miss out

I can attest to this statement.

Natalinatul said:
I just finished first year of upper secondary school, my math is pretty basic
Different countries have different educational systems. I don't know what "first year of upper secondary" means in terms of typical age or the level of math studied. I suspect few other people here know, because I don't remember ever seeing that term before.

There's a lot of open course ware on the Internet where you can learn a vast amount of subjects. However, my limited experience has yielded very informative lectures/videos with a homework program on a website that doesn't work and stays broken for quite an extensive period of time. Very disgusting especially when I was actually enjoying learning calculus and being productive for once.

FAQ: What's the best way to start learning physics?

1. What is the best way to approach learning physics for a beginner?

The best way to start learning physics is by gaining a strong foundation in mathematics, particularly in algebra, geometry, and trigonometry. The concepts of physics are heavily reliant on mathematical equations and understanding these concepts will make learning physics easier.

2. Is it necessary to have a background in science before learning physics?

While having a background in science can be helpful, it is not necessary to have prior knowledge to start learning physics. Physics is a subject that can be learned by anyone with an interest in understanding the natural world and a willingness to put in the time and effort.

3. What are some good resources for beginners to learn physics?

There are many resources available for beginners to learn physics, including textbooks, online courses, and educational videos. Some popular resources include Khan Academy, MIT OpenCourseWare, and YouTube channels such as Physics Girl and Veritasium.

4. How can I improve my problem-solving skills in physics?

The key to improving problem-solving skills in physics is practice. Start by solving simple problems and gradually work your way up to more complex ones. It's also helpful to break down the problem into smaller, manageable parts and to use diagrams and equations to aid in understanding and solving the problem.

5. What are some common misconceptions about learning physics?

One common misconception about learning physics is that it is only for those who are naturally talented in math and science. In reality, anyone can learn and understand physics with dedication and practice. Another misconception is that physics is only applicable to theoretical concepts, when in fact, physics has many practical applications in everyday life.