Why Are There Notches Instead of Square Wave Voltage in My Flyback Transformer?

• Thread starter shom_show
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Transformer
In summary: Thanks for any extra information you can provide.In summary, the conversation discusses the design of a Flyback converter, with details on the components and their specifications. The issue being faced is with the transformer malfunctioning, and the person is seeking suggestions on tests that can be done to troubleshoot the problem. Additional information, such as a schematic and waveform data, would be helpful in finding a solution.
shom_show
Hi friends,

I am trying to design a Flyback converter(Vin=15 volts, Vout=15 volts, fsw=140kHz) in general purpose PCB. The Mosfet(IRF510) is being driven from TL494. I have checked that the mosfet is being successfully driven by TL494. But after connecting the transformer(E 16/7/6) in sec side, I observed some notches for usec duration instead of a square wave voltage. I have checked the xformer separately after winding it by giving signal from a SIGNAL GENERATOR, where the output is coming correctly.
Can anyone suggest me any tests that can be done to sort out the cause of the xformer malfunctioning, which will be of great help to me.
Thanks in advance.

Sumanta

Engineering news on Phys.org
shom_show said:
Hi friends,

... But after connecting the transformer(E 16/7/6) in sec side, I observed some notches for usec duration instead of a square wave voltage...

I'm sure you know what you mean , but those words do not paint a picture in my mind.

"notches" ? TL494 does have "dead time" per datasheet.

At 140 kHz a whole cycle is only ~7 microseconds and each half of a square wave is just 3and a half microseconds.
How wide are these usec "notches" ?

It would help greatly if you could show a detailed schematic of your setup and, if possible, include a dump of your waveforms. A datasheet (if available) for your transformer would also be appreciated.

Related to Why Are There Notches Instead of Square Wave Voltage in My Flyback Transformer?

1. What is a flyback transformer?

A flyback transformer is a type of transformer used in electronic circuits to convert high-voltage, low-current power to low-voltage, high-current power. It is commonly used in devices such as televisions, computer monitors, and power supplies.

2. What is the purpose of a flyback transformer?

The main purpose of a flyback transformer is to provide isolation and voltage conversion in electronic circuits. It is also used to store energy and regulate the output voltage.

3. What is a common problem with flyback transformers?

A common problem with flyback transformers is short-circuiting. This can occur due to insulation breakdown or overheating. It can result in damage to the transformer and other components in the circuit.

4. How can I troubleshoot a problem with a flyback transformer?

To troubleshoot a problem with a flyback transformer, you can use a multimeter to check for continuity and resistance. You can also visually inspect the transformer for any signs of damage, such as burnt or melted components.

5. Can a problem with a flyback transformer be fixed?

In some cases, a problem with a flyback transformer can be fixed by replacing any damaged components or repairing any faulty connections. However, in severe cases, the transformer may need to be replaced entirely.

Back