Why Do Canonical Transformations Preserve the Form of Hamilton's Equations?

In summary, when performing canonical transformations in Hamiltonian mechanics, we must restrict ourselves to generating functions that do not change the form of the canonical equations and only depend on the coordinates and momenta, without any explicit time dependence. This ensures that the physics remains unchanged while still allowing for transformations that simplify the equations.
WiFO215
1. Whenever we perform canonical transformations in Hamiltonian mechanics, we look for those generating functions which leave the form of the canonical equations unchanged.

Why do we restrict ourselves to those transformations which leave the equations unchanged?

Can I not do some transformation,
[tex] q_{i} \rightarrow Q_{i}(q, p, t)[/tex]
[tex]p_{i} \rightarrow P_{i}(q, p, t) [/tex]

Which changes the form of the Hamilton equations, but leaves the physics unchanged?

Is it very obvious that by changing the equations, our physics changes?
(My own answer is yes, but I just want to clarify)

2. Why cannot my generating function depend on more than 2 variables? Why not the old p, q AND the new Q or some such dependence? Can it depend on all four variables p,q, P and Q?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, your generating function can depend on more than two variables, including the old p, q, as well as the new Q. However, the transformation must still obey Hamilton's equations, which means that the generating function must be a function of the coordinates and momenta only, without any explicit time dependence. Therefore, the generating function cannot depend on all four variables (p, q, P, and Q), since that would introduce an explicit time dependence, violating Hamilton's equations.

Related to Why Do Canonical Transformations Preserve the Form of Hamilton's Equations?

1. What are Canonical Transformations?

Canonical transformations are mathematical transformations used in classical mechanics to describe the motion of a system in different coordinate systems. These transformations preserve the fundamental equations of motion and energy conservation, making them useful for analyzing complex systems with multiple degrees of freedom.

2. How are Canonical Transformations different from other transformations?

Canonical transformations are unique in that they preserve the Hamiltonian of a system, which represents the total energy of the system. This means that the equations of motion and energy conservation are still valid in the new coordinate system, making it easier to analyze the system's dynamics.

3. What is the purpose of using Canonical Transformations?

The main purpose of using canonical transformations is to simplify the mathematical description of a system. By transforming the coordinates and momenta, the equations of motion can be rewritten in a simpler form, making it easier to solve and analyze the system.

4. How are Canonical Transformations related to the Hamiltonian of a system?

Canonical transformations are closely related to the Hamiltonian of a system, as they preserve its value in different coordinate systems. This means that the Hamiltonian remains constant even after the transformation, providing a useful tool for analyzing the behavior of the system.

5. Are Canonical Transformations reversible?

Yes, Canonical Transformations are reversible. This means that the transformation can be applied in the opposite direction, returning the system to its original coordinates and momenta. This reversibility property is important in ensuring that the physical properties of the system are not altered by the transformation.