Why Do Cross Terms Arise in Polymer Random Walk Calculations?

In summary, the mean square end-to-end distance of a polymer of stepsize b and number of units N is given by the sum of the correlations between all pairs of units, which can be evaluated using the correlation function.
raintrek
I understand the mean square end-to-end distance of a polymer of stepsize b and number of units N is given by

[tex]\left\langle R^{2}\right\rangle = \sum_{i,j=1}^{N} \left\langle r_{i} r_{j}\right\rangle + \left\langle \sum_{i \neq j}^{N} r_{i} r_{j}\right\rangle[/tex]

And that the cross terms drop out to produce the solution of Nb^2. However I don't understand the origin of these cross terms in the first place - what do they physically represent? And how would one evaluate the sum in the cross terms??

Physics news on Phys.org
The cross terms in the mean square end-to-end distance of a polymer represent the interactions between the different units in the polymer. Specifically, they represent the correlations between the positions of different units that arise due to their interactions. To evaluate the sum in the cross terms, one can use the correlation function of the polymer, which describes how the positions of the different units are correlated.

FAQ: Why Do Cross Terms Arise in Polymer Random Walk Calculations?

1. What is a polymer random walk?

A polymer random walk is a mathematical model used to describe the movement of long-chain molecules, such as polymers, in a solution. It involves a series of random steps taken by the molecule, leading to a random, zigzagging path.

2. How is a polymer random walk related to Brownian motion?

A polymer random walk is closely related to Brownian motion, which is the random movement of particles in a fluid due to collisions with other particles. In a polymer random walk, the random steps taken by the molecule can be seen as a result of Brownian motion.

3. What factors affect the behavior of a polymer random walk?

The behavior of a polymer random walk is affected by several factors, including the size and shape of the polymer molecule, the temperature and viscosity of the solution, and the strength of interactions between the polymer and the surrounding molecules.

4. How is a polymer random walk used in scientific research?

Polymer random walks are used in a variety of scientific fields, such as polymer physics and biophysics, to study the behavior of long-chain molecules and their interactions with other molecules in a solution. They can also be used to model the movement of biological molecules, such as proteins, in cells.

5. What are some real-world applications of polymer random walks?

Polymer random walks have practical applications in industries such as materials science and biotechnology. They are used to design and predict the properties of new materials, such as plastics and gels, and to understand the behavior of biological molecules in drug delivery and other medical applications.

Back