Why is My Potted Christmas Tree Drying Out and Losing Needles?

In summary: If it doesnt look like the needles are dying then stop fertilizing. If it does die, you may have fertilized too much. In general, fertilize every three months, but do a test patch first. Too much fertilizer will kill your tree.I have a potted tree that I bought last year, it was to be my Christmas tree for many years to come. Unfortunately it seems to be drying and the needles are falling off.Is this because it is root bound? Not getting enough water (I doubt this one)? Too much water? Not enough fertilizer? Too much fertilizer? Anybody?It has been ok for 11 months?Yes,
NeoDevin
I have a potted tree that I bought last year, it was to be my Christmas tree for many years to come. Unfortunately it seems to be drying and the needles are falling off.

Is this because it is root bound? Not getting enough water (I doubt this one)? Too much water? Not enough fertilizer? Too much fertilizer? Anybody?

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 534
Physics news on Phys.org
NeoDevin said:
I have a potted tree that I bought last year, it was to be my Christmas tree for many years to come. Unfortunately it seems to be drying and the needles are falling off.

Is this because it is root bound? Not getting enough water (I doubt this one)? Too much water? Not enough fertilizer? Too much fertilizer? Anybody?

So it has been ok for 11 months?

What kind of tree?

Where have you been keeping it? Evergreens are notoriously difficult to keep indoors no matter how much sun and feeding.

Also, they need to have periods of dormancy. That is the number one reason why they die when brought indoors. They need the temperature changes experienced outdoors.

Also, when you potted it, did it have any root structure to speak of? If it didn't you should have carefully peeled some bark away and potted with some rooting hormone and 10-52-10. If there are no roots, there is no way the tree can feed itself.

The feeding in and of itself is tough and easy to do wrong.

No matter what, if the needles are dry and falling off, it's a goner. There's nothing you can do. The only thing you can do is to learn from this tree and apply that to the next one.

misgfool said:
So it has been ok for 11 months?

Yes, it was fine indoors last winter, and was out on my balcony all last summer. This winter when I brought it in it started drying up.

FredGarvin said:
What kind of tree?
It is a `Norfolk Pine' according to the tag that came with it.
FredGarvin said:
Where have you been keeping it? Evergreens are notoriously difficult to keep indoors no matter how much sun and feeding.
It was outside on the balcony all summer. Once the temperatures started dropping below freezing I brought it in.
FredGarvin said:
Also, they need to have periods of dormancy. That is the number one reason why they die when brought indoors. They need the temperature changes experienced outdoors.
So I should have left it outside? I didn't want the roots to freeze, so I brought it in.
FredGarvin said:
Also, when you potted it, did it have any root structure to speak of? If it didn't you should have carefully peeled some bark away and potted with some rooting hormone and 10-52-10. If there are no roots, there is no way the tree can feed itself.
It had decent roots when I bought it.
FredGarvin said:
The feeding in and of itself is tough and easy to do wrong.
What type of fertilizer should I be using, how often?
FredGarvin said:
No matter what, if the needles are dry and falling off, it's a goner. There's nothing you can do. The only thing you can do is to learn from this tree and apply that to the next one.
Not all the needles are dried up yet. It's drying from the bottom to the top.

Thanks for the advice. I attached a picture to the OP, it's still pending approval.

NeoDevin said:
Yes, it was fine indoors last winter, and was out on my balcony all last summer. This winter when I brought it in it started drying up.

It didn't look like it was beyond salvation. We were always told that it should not be kept near batteries or any other place where there is too much heat. In nature pine requires a damp and shadowy place. Outdoors probably is better in that respect. However, since it is in a pot I would avoid freezing it completely.

Outdoors is currently snowing. Any advice on how to keep it outdoors without it freezing completely?

NeoDevin said:
Outdoors is currently snowing. Any advice on how to keep it outdoors without it freezing completely?

Do we have a financial constraint here? My engineering side would go for the extravaganza.

Ok, if the temperature is permanently below 0 C then there could be complications but I don't think occasional snowing hurts. Besides if there is a lot of snow you could build a little iglu for the pot. Temperature below (maybe 20cm?) snow is near 0 C. We planted our christmas tree to the ground and temperatures in the winter occasionally reach -30 C and it's still alive.

Last edited by a moderator:
You were wise to bring it indoors. Its not a normal pine, its very tender. And where it lives naturally never freezes. If it gets frozen it will die. You need to water it when the top inch or so feels dry, and never let it sit in water. Feed it only when it shows signs of growth and use regular house plant fertilizer,not pine tree fertilizer.
The problem I have had with them is keeping the relative humidity high around the plant. They thrive on high humidity{50%}, and once the home heat is turned on, without additional humidity, the branches dry out very quickly. I ran a portable humidifier right next to mine, it seemed to help.
If you haven't re-potted it, you probably should. Go ahead and remove the dead branches, they will not come back.

i killed one of these several years ago. good luck.

That's the most alive I've ever seen one of those. I'm guessing they are not that easy to keep alive as a houseplant since I've never seen anyone successful with them.

misgfool said:
Do we have a financial constraint here? My engineering side would go for the extravaganza.
Unfortunately finances (and maybe building codes?) don't allow for the construction of a full greenhouse on my balcony, though that would be awesome.
misgfool said:
Ok, if the temperature is permanently below 0 C then there could be complications but I don't think occasional snowing hurts. Besides if there is a lot of snow you could build a little iglu for the pot. Temperature below (maybe 20cm?) snow is near 0 C. We planted our christmas tree to the ground and temperatures in the winter occasionally reach -30 C and it's still alive.
Here in Edmonton we routinely get entire weeks below -30 C. For now it is still warming above 0 C during the days, but pretty soon it won't be.

hypatia said:
You were wise to bring it indoors. Its not a normal pine, its very tender. And where it lives naturally never freezes. If it gets frozen it will die. You need to water it when the top inch or so feels dry, and never let it sit in water. Feed it only when it shows signs of growth and use regular house plant fertilizer,not pine tree fertilizer.
The problem I have had with them is keeping the relative humidity high around the plant. They thrive on high humidity{50%}, and once the home heat is turned on, without additional humidity, the branches dry out very quickly. I ran a portable humidifier right next to mine, it seemed to help.
If you haven't re-potted it, you probably should. Go ahead and remove the dead branches, they will not come back.

I re-potted it shortly after I purchased it. I'll see if I have any larger pots. If I don't, I'll have to try to find one to buy (won't be easy this time of year).

Related to Why is My Potted Christmas Tree Drying Out and Losing Needles?

What are some common signs that my Christmas tree needs help?

Some common signs that your Christmas tree needs help include dry or brittle needles, browning or yellowing branches, and excessive shedding of needles. Additionally, if the tree is not absorbing water or has a strong odor, it may be in need of assistance.

How can I help save my Christmas tree?

The best way to save your Christmas tree is to make sure it is properly hydrated. This can be achieved by regularly watering the tree and placing it in a stand with a large water reservoir. You can also try using a tree preservative or misting the tree with water to help keep it hydrated.

What can cause a Christmas tree to dry out?

There are several factors that can cause a Christmas tree to dry out, including lack of water, exposure to heat sources, and being placed in direct sunlight. Other factors can include the type of tree, the age of the tree, and the environment in which it is kept.

How often should I water my Christmas tree?

You should water your Christmas tree every day, checking the water level in the stand and refilling it as needed. It is important to keep the water level above the base of the tree, as this is where the tree absorbs water. As a general rule, a Christmas tree will absorb 1 quart of water for every inch of its diameter.

Can I save a Christmas tree that has already dried out?

In some cases, it is possible to save a Christmas tree that has already dried out. You can try submerging the entire tree in a bucket of water for several hours to rehydrate it. If the needles are still brittle and falling off, unfortunately, the tree may be too far gone to save.